Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First official photo of the upcoming X-Men prequel:

From left to right: Magneto (Michael Fassbender), Moira MacTaggert (Rose Byrne), Emma Frost (January Jones), Azazel (Jason Flemyng), Beast (Nicholas Hoult), Havoc (Lucas Till), Angel Salvadore (Zoe Kravitz), Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence), Professor Xavier (James McAvoy).

I had a feeling that the suits in this movie would be more colorful and comic booky as the movie primarily takes place in the 1960's. That and Matthew Vaughn (Kick Ass) is directing, so he probably has no problem with working with more colorful designs.

I don't like this photo all that particularly. It looks heavily shopped and kinda murky, but I do think Magneto and Emma Frost look pretty good however. It's still quite a mystery what role(s) Havok and Angel Salvadore are supposed to play in all this..

X-Men First Class hits theaters June 3rd 2011

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=Alec Trevelyan link=topic=185068.msg3911051#msg3911051 date=1295448291]
This character list. It does not make any sense.
[/quote]
The film title is very misleading, which is why I tried to mention that the movie takes places in the 1960's. This movie what the Magneto origins movie was originally going to be. It is now an amalgamation chronicling the very beginning of Xavier's and Magneto's work together and how they parted ways; way before a lot of the more recognizable mutants ever entered the scene.

The way I look at it, the continuity between the first three X-Men movies were so twisted already, this movie wasn't going to have a great deal of luck trying to stick closely to the comic book timeline while at the same time, making sense as a prequel.

·
Registered
38,019 Posts
This movie is already completely contrary to the comic book. In X-Men #1, Magneto was already a villain, White Queen wasn't even on the map, and the X-Men consisted of Professor X, Cyclops, Marvel Girl (thoroughly stupid name for Jean Grey, by the way), Beast, Iceman, and Angel.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=Alec Trevelyan link=topic=185068.msg3911076#msg3911076 date=1295449374]
This movie is already completely contrary to the comic book. In X-Men #1, Magneto was already a villain, White Queen wasn't even on the map, and the X-Men consisted of Professor X, Cyclops, Marvel Girl (thoroughly stupid name for Jean Grey, by the way), Beast, Iceman, and Angel.
[/quote]
Whoa, wut?

The comic books are not chronological starting from the first issue. There have been tons of X-Men books showing Magneto's past and his relationships before he even appeared in X-Men #1. Also, if you've noticed, 90-95% of every comic book adaptation ever put on film has not followed the comic note for note and the closeness usually doesn't have much bearing on the integrity or quality of the film.

With that said, I used to be a firm believer that making an X-Men movie is so much more difficult than many other franchises because there are so many stories and alternate timelines. Even starting from film #1, we should've expected something new and different in terms of where the story would go. Shot for shot/panel for panel adaptations work well for shorter stories like Sin City and Watchmen--but for X-Men, it's probably best to use the comics and the characters and their relationships as a guide or framework and then create a new story from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts