Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first problem for my year old Mazda 3. :(

I was just driving to my other office and I noticed my radio LCD was completely dead. No lights, nothing. Very strange. I turned off and on the car several times, still nothing. Radio works, sound works, CD player works, buttons...etc.

I checked the fuse under the hood, the only thing I found was the "audio" one that was labeled with a 30. Checked it, the bridge wasn't split. Took it out and put it back in, no go still.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I already called and scheduled a service request, I just would hate to leave work to fix this if I could do it on my own. :(

-Dan

Edit: Just to clarify, EVERYTHING is stock, did not touch the electrical system at all. I also tried to search in here for anything similar and didn't see anything.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=Cozmo85 link=topic=72405.msg1276911#msg1276911 date=1174334999]
did you check any of the fuses in the car?
[/quote]

I checked the fuses under the hood. The only one that I found that was relevant was the AUDIO one, and that one was fine. Is there fuses inside of the car somewhere?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
There's fuses in the PJB (passenger junction box) under the glove box. There's a fuse in there that's related as well... forget what it's called, but have a look at that location.

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
[quote author=BCZoomZoom link=topic=72405.msg1277224#msg1277224 date=1174344457]
There's fuses in the PJB (passenger junction box) under the glove box. There's a fuse in there that's related as well... forget what it's called, but have a look at that location.
[/quote]

what he said. most cars nowadays will have fuses for interior-related electronics inside the car, usually underneath the dash somewhere. Also, check in the owners manual. It should tell you which fuse it should be. I haven't received my manual just yet.. so we'll see ;-)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote author=NightRiderMZ3 link=topic=72405.msg1277327#msg1277327 date=1174347687]
[quote author=BCZoomZoom link=topic=72405.msg1277224#msg1277224 date=1174344457]
[/quote]

what he said. most cars nowadays will have fuses for interior-related electronics inside the car, usually underneath the dash somewhere. Also, check in the owners manual. It should tell you which fuse it should be. I haven't received my manual just yet.. so we'll see ;-)
[/quote]

None of them were blown, checked those too.

But nevertheless, I fixed it - kind of. I took apart the dash and pulled out the HU just to inspect the LCD and HU. I looked at the wiring harness and it seemed fine, but I decided to unplug the LCD from the wiring harness. After inspecting it again, I plugged it all back together. Turned on the car and, voila! It works.

I'm guessing I have a short somewhere. Not sure where, but I hate these little types of problems. :(

Thanks everyone for your help. :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Maybe the connection wasn't tight or something... anyways, glad it's working. If it comes back, I'd head for the dealership.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This problem happened to me a few weeks ago. My dealership told me I'd have to wait since the part was on backorder. As of today I'm still waiting. BUT!!! I pulled out my stereo to install the AuxMod today, and disconnected the Info Display (LCD) wiring in the process. Upon reconnecting it and turning on my car again, it worked! I've read that this happened to someone else as well, apparently the connection is just not so tight. Oh well...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah I had this happen too. Took Mazda over 2 weeks to fix. Pulling the LCD wiring harness works for a little while. Apparently the display module is failing A LOT. There were over a thousand back orders when I finally got mine. Took 3 weeks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't think it has to do with connection tightness.

By removing the connector you are forcing a complete power reset which is what is fixing the lock-up. I had the same issue with mine, but my display was going crazy, not just dead. Unplug the connector and plug it back in and its all fixed.

Basically I think unplugging it is reseting the display driver micro which I believe is locking up.

Joseph

·
Registered
656 Posts
[quote author=joseph_liu link=topic=72405.msg1294784#msg1294784 date=1175028128]
I don't think it has to do with connection tightness.

By removing the connector you are forcing a complete power reset which is what is fixing the lock-up. I had the same issue with mine, but my display was going crazy, not just dead. Unplug the connector and plug it back in and its all fixed.

Basically I think unplugging it is reseting the display driver micro which I believe is locking up.

Joseph
[/quote]

err... not yes and no ..

if you unplug the battery .. the entire circuit loses it's power .. ( there isn't a backup ) so that's as good as a reset ... so you can plug and unplug all you want but it won't make a difference..

that is .. of course if you are unplugging the batt.. if you aren't then yeah .. it will reset it that way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Within a few months of having my 3, my radio signal went dead, nothing but noise. i took it to the dealer and they switched out my radio unit for a new one, since they said that it was a short in the system...only other problem with radio has been the 6 cd changer getting stuck and for some reason the clock was going a little slow...meaning that if i set it to 340pm, then in a few mins when it should be at 4 pm like my watch, it would be at 351....but its back to normal now...

·
Registered
656 Posts
[quote author=rdj0981 link=topic=72405.msg1300911#msg1300911 date=1175260718]
Within a few months of having my 3, my radio signal went dead, nothing but noise. i took it to the dealer and they switched out my radio unit for a new one, since they said that it was a short in the system...only other problem with radio has been the 6 cd changer getting stuck and for some reason the clock was going a little slow...meaning that if i set it to 340pm, then in a few mins when it should be at 4 pm like my watch, it would be at 351....but its back to normal now...
[/quote]

That's kinda F(*&#ed up , How much moisture do you have in your car ? 1450 percet humidity? It shouldn't be shorting .. unless you took it apart and F)(*#ed with it .. which I don't think you did :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
[quote author=Rdk87 link=topic=72405.msg1301159#msg1301159 date=1175266674]
[quote author=rdj0981 link=topic=72405.msg1300911#msg1300911 date=1175260718]
[/quote]

That's kinda F(*&#ed up , How much moisture do you have in your car ? 1450 percet humidity? It shouldn't be shorting .. unless you took it apart and F)(*#ed with it .. which I don't think you did :p
[/quote]

Hey man...I JUST DRIVE THE THING HAHAHA
when i had my 626 id take it about and install radios and anything else, but im trying to take care of this one and not really do to much....first new car for me...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts