Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, 1800kms later i have my first tiny rock chip right beside my driver's side foglight down near the bottom. It's small, only a little knick, but being the caretaker I am for the damn thing, i'm wondering what options if any there are. I wouldn't even attempt getting this fixed right now since this stupid Alberta province thinks it's bright to dump rocks on the roads every time a flurry falls. I'm just wondering if it is possible to fix, how it would be fixed since it is on the front bumper (of course being plastic) and how freakin' expensive it would be. I would likely wait til spring time to get it fixed where there would be a lot more, although maybe I'll get over it by then...I guess it's only a car and hopefully I'm not so obsessed with it by then...

·
Registered
15,112 Posts
[quote author=JoeSomebody link=topic=67455.msg1160252#msg1160252 date=1169348727]
Will that look ok or more like a glob of paint?
[/quote]

Depends on how you apply it. If you glob it, then yes it will look bad... but if you take your time and feather it out, it should look ok. Rock chips aren't really all that bad... they are gonna happen regardless. Its deep scratches you need to worry about, or door dings from dumbass parkers in parking lots. I got a ding on my right rear fender from some dick who parked too close to my car one time. AND I park far away from other cars.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I used to hate chips and etc..But now i just put a dab of touch up paint on em and forget about it. There is more important things to worry about in life. I look back at how i stressed i was over small dents and chips, Now i realize how stupid that was. After i put some touch up paint on them they look just fine. Who really cares if there is a few dings anyways.

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=zoom_craigy_zoom link=topic=67455.msg1160296#msg1160296 date=1169350639]
Well, if he is into car shows and showing his car off, it means a lot to him.
[/quote]
Yes i agree, BUT!! He did state that "its only a car". Thats why i posted my comments about how its not that important in the big scheme of things...Cause it aint.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's my way of trying to convince myself and get over it. But, I'm gonna fuss over it until I get it fixed because I am an idiot. Touch up paint is the only solution right?

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=JoeSomebody link=topic=67455.msg1160313#msg1160313 date=1169351647]
That's my way of trying to convince myself and get over it. But, I'm gonna fuss over it until I get it fixed because I am an idiot. Touch up paint is the only solution right?
[/quote]
Well, Ive put some dings on mine like that and yes touch up paint works pretty well.
After you do it, NO ONE will notice unless you show them. I had a rock hit my hood right in the middle, The touch up job i did wasnt perfect at all BUT its alot better than a chip/scratch. Try the touch up paint, It will probably look just fine.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Use painters blue masking tape and tape AROUND the chipped or scratched area. Then paint only on the inside of the area.

This works well if your hands are shaky and so you don't spread paint on areas you don't want.

·
Registered
190 Posts
[quote author=HouRman link=topic=67455.msg1162001#msg1162001 date=1169449062]
Use painters blue masking tape and tape AROUND the chipped or scratched area. Then paint only on the inside of the area.

This works well if your hands are shaky and so you don't spread paint on areas you don't want.
[/quote]
Yep..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your help. I love my car and even though it's a constant losing investment, I want to keep it looking great as long as possible. As soon as these are fixed, I'm 3M'ing the front bumper and hood...

·
Registered
13 Posts
[quote author=JoeSomebody link=topic=67455.msg1160252#msg1160252 date=1169348727]
Will that look ok or more like a glob of paint?
[/quote]

A motorcycle dealer told me once for those to use your finger to touch it up, them wipe quickly around the edges of the chip. If the car is black, use a damned black Sharpie Permanent marker till it fills in, then wipe real quick with a rag. Voila. Don't sweat it. Or, find one these clods whose whole life is traveling around dealerships and fixing piss ant shit like that on dealer lots. They don't charge much. Let us know.

·
Registered
34 Posts
  • [quote author=JoeSomebody link=topic=67455.msg1160202#msg1160202 date=1169345857]
    Well, 1800kms later i have my first tiny rock chip right beside my driver's side foglight down near the bottom. It's small, only a little knick, but being the caretaker I am for the damn thing, i'm wondering what options if any there are. I wouldn't even attempt getting this fixed right now since this stupid Alberta province thinks it's bright to dump rocks on the roads every time a flurry falls. I'm just wondering if it is possible to fix, how it would be fixed since it is on the front bumper (of course being plastic) and how freakin' expensive it would be. I would likely wait til spring time to get it fixed where there would be a lot more, although maybe I'll get over it by then...I guess it's only a car and hopefully I'm not so obsessed with it by then...
    [/quote]

EVery little chip and flaw in your car tells a story and makes that car unice to you and only you. i know this guy with a h1 hummer only 1 year old with so many dents and scrapes. and when i first saw it i thought what the hell happened. i mean it seriously look like someone scrape to side with a car. but he told me they are his battle scares just like we get scares and have story behind them. so in ways they arn't that bad. ( i had my car no longer than a month and got a scrape right below the passenger headlight about a inch long through the paint. but that trip through arizonas winding roads was fun to drive!! :chuckles:

•  

·
    Registered
    724 Posts
    I've heard people say the battle scar thing before and really wish I could get into that mentality too. Maybe it'd be easier with an off-roader where each one might have an interesting story :D. It felt 100x worse getting chips on a brand new and immaculate car than getting another chip on my (older) last car, even though that was in really nice condition. I found a bunch of little scratches and another chip when I just washed & waxed the mazda last weekend, disappointing but inevitable I guess. It definitely does seem less bad after the first one.

·
    Registered
    13 Posts
    [quote author=HouRman link=topic=67455.msg1181588#msg1181588 date=1170370662]
    lol, they arn't dings, chips, scratches... they're battle scars! I like that.
    [/quote]

Ha! That character thing doesn't go very far with me. :shock: But, I know the first is the toughest, and is why many of us would make it go away. Once the new wears off, it's easy 8)

·
    Registered
    190 Posts
    If you drive em they WILL get dinged, scratched and etc. The Mazda 3 aint meant to be a show car, Its meant to be driven. We can all try to keep our cars lookin nice BUT when we obsess about the little things like scratches or small dings..Then maybe we need a life? :?

·
    Registered
    3,116 Posts
    dents and dings were battle scars on my old chevy beretta...that thing was actually a tank in disguise....3 driver side fenders, 2 windsheilds, a couple crashed in ice storms, a run in with a cement pole in front of a convience store (i won that battle!)......those are battle scars.....i woudlnt want those same things to happen to my new 3.....i would cry!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts