Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about the break in period for the MS3?? I know the manual says 600 miles at differing speeds, but is that enough?? too much??
I have a little over 100 now and really want to speed this process up so I can really drive it...been trying to stay under 4k rpms but it is hard.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Honestly. I usually play it safe and give it an ass kicken every once in awile after 1500 miles.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I'm gonna try this again. I have 650 miles now and according to the manual i have it is now broken in....but is it truely safe to really drive it hard now or do I need to wait longer??

·
Registered
994 Posts
[quote author=tvissues link=topic=66208.msg1189425#msg1189425 date=1170752751]
i'd say your good as far as pedal to the metal but just don't put synthetic in for a while.
[/quote]

Why is that? I was planning on putting Synthetic in with my first oil change.

·
Registered
994 Posts
yes I did mean at my 3k oil change then after that I'll be doing it every 5k.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have little over 600 miles on my speed3. Today was the first time I started getting aggresive. However during 600 mile break in period I did drive the car on the highway at around 95 mph. I didn't floor it I just kept the car between 4000 - 4500 rpm and gradually got it to 95. Today I went a little more nuts to see what happens and I drove the car with the DSC turned off..it feels a little more powerful. Even with the DSC on the car has plenty of power and you can feel it under your foot wanting you to give it more gas. I've been speeding quiet a bit and its only a matter of time that I get a ticket. Its easy to go from 40 mph to 70 mph...It only takes a few seconds...and it can get a little annoying to constantly check the speedometer to check how fast your going. The car makes you feel that the people around you are driving slower then you even though they're not...its really the speed3 that makes you feel this way.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so last night was my first time to really get it going on the highway, and all I have to say is WOW!!! I mean I had gotten it up to 100 but like warpseed said, it was very low rpms and I just slowly got there, but it took almost no time. I haven't tried anything with the DCS off, probally tomarrow. My next step is to try and go to the track before I get my cai and see what it can do. And then go after and see what kind of difference if any there is. Man I love this car, it was hard to drive it so slow during the break in period and now I can't seem to take my foot of the gas!!!!!!!!! :klavergreg:

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
[quote author=Nymisus link=topic=66208.msg1193729#msg1193729 date=1170903007]
so last night was my first time to really get it going on the highway, and all I have to say is WOW!!! I mean I had gotten it up to 100 but like warpseed said, it was very low rpms and I just slowly got there, but it took almost no time. I haven't tried anything with the DCS off, probally tomarrow. My next step is to try and go to the track before I get my cai and see what it can do. And then go after and see what kind of difference if any there is. Man I love this car, it was hard to drive it so slow during the break in period and now I can't seem to take my foot of the gas!!!!!!!!! :klavergreg:
[/quote]
No kidding!!!! Now i find my self gasing up at 170-200 miles per tank!!!!!! i gotta slow down.. thank god for cruise control!!!! lol

·
Registered
397 Posts
The one negative thing that I find about this car is the fact that the suspension makes strange noises in extreme cold weather then goes away after a few miles of driving. I don't know if this is a problem with all tight suspensions or its the fact that the car was never cold weather tested. Also in the cold when I first drive it and try and take a tight turn I can hear a clicking sound again something I don't like at all. This seems to happen whenever the weather is below zero. When it was 40 degrees or above outside I never have this problem. Reading other posts about this problem is seems likes a common occurance and one members dealership said its no big deal. Well I'm going to take it in tomarrow and ask and see what answer I get.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
i keep hearing creaks now and again but like everyone else keeps saying it goes away after a bit. i think that the cold is excactly the culprit. It makes sense since most materials in a vehicle shrink when its cold to an extent and that would explain some creaks on an already stiff ass frame. my 05 never did that but i think its due largely in part to the stiffness. maybe we should ask some one with a regular 3 and all or lots of the body braces and stiffer shocks/struts. i bet that is what it is.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I drove the car allot harder today I'm still a little under 700 miles. Now I don't know how many people here will believe me...it may be the fact that I have good hearing. I had a posting in the Mazdaspeed3 DISI turbo board that I could hear the turbo whine while driving. I got a bunch of mixed responses as if I was out of my mind because they couldn't hear it. Well today it was about 15 degrees F out and I was shifting between 2 and 3....and 4 shifting right around 5 thousand RPM's and if I'm not mistaking I heard the psssst of the blow off value. Anyone else hear this?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't have a MS3 but I had a VW with the 1.8T engine and I was able to hear both the turbo (at certain speeds and throttle position before road and wind noise covered it up) and the diverter valve while shifting. It was muted and you really had to listen for it but it was there. I imagine it could be audible in the MS3. Now, if you've installed a blow-off valve you will hear it for sure because it dumps excess pressure into the air instead of back into the air intake. I have heard a couple of cars with BOV's and they were LOUD.

·
Registered
12 Posts
[quote author=DanW link=topic=66208.msg1198173#msg1198173 date=1171063058]
I don't have a MS3 but I had a VW with the 1.8T engine and I was able to hear both the turbo (at certain speeds and throttle position before road and wind noise covered it up) and the diverter valve while shifting. It was muted and you really had to listen for it but it was there. I imagine it could be audible in the MS3. Now, if you've installed a blow-off valve you will hear it for sure because it dumps excess pressure into the air instead of back into the air intake. I have heard a couple of cars with BOV's and they were LOUD.
[/quote]

I did as well, and you could definitely hear it under certain circumstances. I would think you can hear it on the MS3 too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
[quote author=warpspeed link=topic=66208.msg1198229#msg1198229 date=1171065265]
mazdaspeed3 doesn't come with a stock bov?
[/quote]

I believe all factory turbo-charged cars come with diverter valves that dump pressure back into the intake and as a result this isn't as loud. Aftermarket blow-off valves release the pressure into the air, accompanied with a loud hiss. Here's video of a BMW 335i with a BOV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcIaQOBPCBE

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
For more BOV information please goto
Mazdaspeed section
Under Modifications

To find out more information

a BOV under recirc will still make a sound
VTA is not good and will cause stalling over time along with more smoke out of back

a CAI will make the sound under stock BOV much more audible

Please read about it before modifying it :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
I just can't wait to take this car out on a track. Ofcourse it needs to be a bit warmer where I live before that occurs. I did post on another board about getting a group together for a track day in the Chicago area. So far no response. When I drive on the roads there is just to many people in my way. Like I mentioned in a earlier post I had opened it up a bit today. I was showing off a bit somebody in a Mini flew past me so I did the same to him. I wasn't trying to race I just wanted my presence to be felt. I'm trying not to get a ticket but like I said couple of days ago its going to happen. Doing 70 in a 40 is not the smartest thing in suburban traffic. I don't like the idiots who ride my bumper ..I said this in a previous post a few weeks ago about how a civic was riding my bumper when I was already doing 10 over the limit...I just looked in the rear view mirror and thought "you got to be kidding me". This never occured with the previous car I owned it was just meaner I guess....but I dropped a gear and took off ...when I slowed down the civic kept its distance. I like my space and this car has the ability to give you plenty...I'm just a little older and wiser ...now adays to race and ..or rat race through traffic like I use to when I was younger . So anyone interested in getting together and taking the cars on a track I'm all for that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I broke in my Mazda3 by driving from North dakota to Florida last month christmas and new years. 2k mi just one way... and driving about 80 mph the whole way, i just kept my RPM's at about 4k. Just basically cruising speed. I was very hesitant to drive the piss out of it... for the first couple of weeks having it but i still managed to get 300 miles out of it before driving it to florida. Even then it was still in its break-in period at that time. I never really started until i actually got to florida and thats where I finally started taking it going above 5k... i was, needless to say, very impressed with the power-output and stopping power as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts