Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my 12 installed. 500wrms amp pushing it. Just blared it for close to if not over an hour. My head is spinning :rofl: :love: :twisted: For some reason it hits better in the 3 than it ever did in the camry. I think its bc the backseats on the 3 are like half as thick as the camry. it hurts my ears...i love it.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
[quote author=07mazda3s link=topic=65391.msg1120861#msg1120861 date=1167168522]
Finally got my 12 installed. 500wrms amp pushing it. Just blared it for close to if not over an hour. My head is spinning :rofl: :love: :twisted: For some reason it hits better in the 3 than it ever did in the camry. I think its bc the backseats on the 3 are like half as thick as the camry. it hurts my ears...i love it.
[/quote]

The joys of not having anything muffling the sound, rear deck and seats.. is very nice for sure.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wang, like the noise it makes when it hits certain notes. waaaaaaaang wang wang waaaaaaaaang. Its an mtx thunder 4500 12 in an mtx ported box with 3.3 cubes. 225wrms, 675 peak. Sony xplod amp, 500 wrms. I have pics but they are terrible.

Amp- http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r58/hdaniel428/?action=view&current=amp.jpg

Sub/box- http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r58/hdaniel428/?action=view&current=subbox.jpg

Those pics are terrible but if you really strain your eyes you might be able to see the edges of my box, lol. I'll try to get some digital camera pics up here soon. I have the amp up on the passenger side of the box with homemade spacers that give it like an inch of breathing room from the box. It pounded for over an hour yesterday and was just getting hot when I stopped.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just curious - are you running 4 awg wire from the battery?

I just bought the 1200W Sony XPLOD - can't really tell from your picture if it's the same - I CAN'T WAIT!!

I want my system to WANG!! - lol

I am having problems with the current amp in my car - it's like 7 years old - bought it when I turned 16. It turns on and off spiratically - sometimes I just pop the trunk, get out of my car, then smack the amp and boom - I am thumping. Just figured it was time for a new amp.

I am still going to keep the MTX 12" woofer - works well enough - same age as the amp, nothing wrong with it yet (fingers crossed).

I ripped out the stock stereo and installed a pioneer navi. Connected a LOC with level controls to the Bose system and it's loud as hell. When my toy comes I have to connect ACC to the remote for the bose and the pioneer remote to the amp cuz the Pioneer has non fading woofer control (on/off) and I want to treat it as so.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
[/quote]

you really should break in your sub.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
[quote author=edrection link=topic=65391.msg1122309#msg1122309 date=1167252608]
[/quote]

[/quote]

ill second that, even though its the same as breaking in a car, everyone has an opinion on it, just seems logical to take it easy on it for awhile...

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
we pretty much say Wang as often as possible at work....

as for breaking in your sub, it's kind of a misnomer. Most subs and speakers do have a "break in period", but it is mostly just do to the fact that they will get a bit louder /sound better once the surround and spider loosen up a bit. While I might not recommend doing competition tone burps 5 minutes after install, you should be fine playing some music at a decent volume .

·
Registered
760 Posts
[quote author=WetsuitxNinja link=topic=65391.msg1122791#msg1122791 date=1167277762]
[quote author=edrection link=topic=65391.msg1122309#msg1122309 date=1167252608]
[/quote]

[/quote]

ill second that, even though its the same as breaking in a car, everyone has an opinion on it, just seems logical to take it easy on it for awhile...
[/quote]

Most subs are tested before they are packaged and sent out to users. Any type of break-in is usually taken care of during those initial tests. A sub's suspension *may* loosen up a bit over time, but I honestly don't think breaking in a sub is a needed step. Just plug and play. It's all about the install anyways.

Most problems related to new installs can be blamed on poor installation. Improper gain setting, too little current available, poor box design, incorrect xover/HPF settings, etc etc. Basically newb mistakes. Avoid those, and you're golden.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I always break in a nice sub. Just a few hours of low volume play and then bring it to a normal volume for a day or two. After that I play it hard. Most pros recommend it. But I doubt, at least in the short term you will notice much diffrence.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I blew mine last night, coming down the back stretch of "air forces" by young jeezy. The volume was reasonable, and the bass was on zero. I have blown that sub with that song twice now. I guess I need to stay away from it or get a better sub. The mtx hits hard but I blew it once in the camry and now blew it the second day in the 3. Good thing I bought the two-year replacement warranty from circuit city. Still sucks though. I don't know much besides that my amp is more powerful than my sub by far, and maybe its just giving it too much juice. 225wrms sub. 500wrms amp. Someone help me out here.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
[quote author=07mazda3s link=topic=65391.msg1123246#msg1123246 date=1167322699]
Well I blew mine last night, coming down the back stretch of "air forces" by young jeezy. The volume was reasonable, and the bass was on zero. I have blown that sub with that song twice now. I guess I need to stay away from it or get a better sub. The mtx hits hard but I blew it once in the camry and now blew it the second day in the 3. Good thing I bought the two-year replacement warranty from circuit city. Still sucks though. I don't know much besides that my amp is more powerful than my sub by far, and maybe its just giving it too much juice. 225wrms sub. 500wrms amp. Someone help me out here.
[/quote]

alpine 12" type r. that will solve all your problems :D

·
Registered
423 Posts
07mazda3s,

I think I purchased the same amp as you - says 1200W on the front. To run one sub it would be 500W RMS. I am also will be running a MTX sub with it. 225W is the min, but Max is 500W. Should I be worried? What MTX sub is it? I bought mine like 6 or 7 years ago - 12 inch. Let me know.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My sub is, er was an mtx thunder 4500. They have it rated at 225 wrms, 675 max in my enclosure, however as just the sub its rated as 200wrms, 400 max. Don't push yours or it will blow. I was about two minutes into a song with lots of bass and without adjusting anything it just blew. Tomorrow I'm taking that piece back to circuit city and getting a kicker comp vr for just $20 more. Hopefully that will solve my problem. I also plan to upgrade my power wire from 8 gauge to 4 which easily could have been at least a part of the problem. Experts...please comment. Also, I had played the sub much louder than it was at the time that it blew!? I'm really confused about it so please tell me if anything seems fishy.

Sub-12" mtx thunder 4500, single 4 ohm voice coil, 225 wrms, 675peak
Box-mtx thunder ported enclosure, something like 3.5 cubic feet
Amp-Sony xm-2002gtr, [email protected]
Wire-8gauge

I was not blaring or testing the sub when it blew.
It had been in the car for two days.
I need explanations.
It is definately blown not seized up bc it still makes little fart noises when the music is up loud but you can only hear them if you open the trunk and stand back there.

·
Registered
760 Posts
[quote author=07mazda3s link=topic=65391.msg1123246#msg1123246 date=1167322699]
[/quote]

I've been running custom audio systems for 20 years, and never blown a sub.

If you are blowing subs all the time, you really need to find the install error and fix it. Maybe gain is too high, maybe SSF isn't on. I can't say from here, but someing is definitely effed up in that install.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts