Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am guessing most use the stock filter, or a Purolator, which is 10241. Anyone using anything different?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I've been very happy with my Bosch Premium 3330. I've gone through many of them, and have never had any start up noise. They are well respected on BITOG, and can often be found as part of the "5qt oil deal" at Autozone, where you buy 5qts of oil, and the Bosch is free at the register!

Darryl

·
Registered
879 Posts
[quote author=D Bone link=topic=138795.msg2991492#msg2991492 date=1236916384]
I've been very happy with my Bosch Premium 3330. I've gone through many of them, and have never had any start up noise. They are well respected on BITOG, and can often be found as part of the "5qt oil deal" at Autozone, where you buy 5qts of oil, and the Bosch is free at the register!

Darryl
[/quote]

yup, I get bosch too. I've used Purolator's PureOne and on my previous cars, I can tell the difference after oil changes. Each time with the PO, the car will feel sluggish, as opposed to changes with teh Bosch.

I used Mobil 1 and the Bosch is like $6 normally. I don't get the buy5, get filter free deals as I just go to Walmart and get their 5qt container for $22. coupled with the filter for $6, its usually cheaper for me.

Besides their Mobil1 Buy5/G1F deals are rare in my area. Best I've ever seen is 5qts and Mobil1 Filter for $25. that is rare and never when I need to do an oil change.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The bigger-than-stock oil filters that a lot of people are running...

Wix 51516
Purolator 20195
Motorcraft FL400S
SuperTech ST3600

These are all less than 5" long.

And just for kicks these filters match our thread size and gasket size but they are too long (5.2") which would get in the way of the splash shield.

Wix 51515
Motorcraft FL1A

And the grand daddy oil filter that will fit our filter mount...

Wix 51773

This sucker measures 7" long and supposedly holds 2 qt. of oil by itself. Its way too long though and you could not run this filter unless you leave the splash shield off. Even then it would hang down below the engine and probably get damaged.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been very happy with my Bosch Premium 3330.
[/quote]
According to this oil filter comparison, the Bosch filter is made by Purolator and is basically identical to Purolator's own L10241 filter, just at a higher price. I've also noticed that the Ford MotorCraft FL-910 oil filter appears to be made by Purolator as well; if you look inside, it has the same type of "metal box" in the bottom (anti-drainback valve?).

Pep Boys also has their store-brand "PROline" PPL10241 filter, which is also a rebranded Purolator and is the cheapest compatible filter I can find anywhere ($2.79, versus $3.29 for the Purolator at Pep Boys, $3.67 for the MotorCraft at Wal-Mart, and $6.49 for the Bosch at AutoZone).

After getting gouged by the dealer ($69.95 for an oil change and tire rotation!), I'll be doing my own maintenance from now on, and I'm planning on going with the MotorCraft filter. Although it's not the cheapest, I can get it at Wal-Mart, who has the best price for MotorCraft semi-synthetic 5W-20 oil ($2.97/quart), which saves me a trip.

·
Registered
879 Posts
i personally prefer the Bosch.. before it used to be the same as the M1 product. I avoid the Purolator One model as I can tell my car gets sluggish when using it

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
[quote author=vwestlife link=topic=138795.msg3003225#msg3003225 date=1237429288]
I've been very happy with my Bosch Premium 3330.
[/quote]
According to this oil filter comparison, the Bosch filter is made by Purolator and is basically identical to Purolator's own L10241 filter, just at a higher price.
[/quote]

Yep, both are very good filters. I have to disagree with the link above however, because the Bosch 3330 has a silicone anti-drain back valve, and not a rubber valve as stated in the filter comparison. http://www.boschautoparts.com/Products/Filters/PremOilFilters Also, I have cut a Purolator made Bosch 3330 open, and the filter media appeared to be vastly different then the last Premium Plus that I cut open. It almost looked like the PureOne media. So I think that while the two filters appear to be identical, there are some fairly major differences.

·
Registered
21 Posts
FWIW, I just did the oil change on my 2.0 and the Mazda OEM oil filter the dealer put on last time (its first ever oil change) was definitely made by Purolator. So if you want "OEM quality" I would recommend any filter made by Purolator, be it Purolator itself, MotorCraft, Bosch, PowerFlo (Strauss Auto house brand), or PROline (Pep Boys house brand).

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote author=vtrin link=topic=138795.msg3003521#msg3003521 date=1237436508]
i personally prefer the Bosch.. before it used to be the same as the M1 product. I avoid the Purolator One model as I can tell my car gets sluggish when using it
[/quote]

No offense, but an oil filter is not going to make a car sluggish. Purloator is a fantastic filter at a great price. I will be using those, MC, or ST.

Mobil and KN are good filters, but only if you plan to run the oil for >5k.

·
Registered
879 Posts
[quote author=BTLew81 link=topic=138795.msg3022484#msg3022484 date=1238210101]
[quote author=vtrin link=topic=138795.msg3003521#msg3003521 date=1237436508]
[/quote]

No offense, but an oil filter is not going to make a car sluggish. Purloator is a fantastic filter at a great price. I will be using those, MC, or ST.

Mobil and KN are good filters, but only if you plan to run the oil for >5k.
[/quote]

no offense, but increased filter material inside can reduce the flow thru it. i stand by my comments as every time i've put a P1 filter on (both my altima and Quest, and even my older Protege) I felt the difference. Any other filter and it didn't.

Of course, I didn't stop buying the filter as i would buy either a P1 or a Bosch depending on which parts place I went to.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It can slightly reduce flow, but not enough to make a noticable different. Not going to argue, but if it's making your car sluggish, it's REALLY slowing flow, as well as doing additional damage.

Use P1 filters on my car and my wife's Murano. No issue, though I prefer motorcraft filters more.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would think (and hope) that a filter would go into bypass long before it bogs down the engine. Thats just crazy. Did you notice fuel mileage being affected?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[quote author=stranger706 link=topic=138795.msg3030204#msg3030204 date=1238541571]
I would think (and hope) that a filter would go into bypass long before it bogs down the engine. Thats just crazy. Did you notice fuel mileage being affected?
[/quote]

That was my point....most filters, especially the better ones, are so efficient that there would be NO reason/way they would bog an engine unless they were severely malfunctioning!

·
Registered
879 Posts
I thought I was crazy the very first time I used a P1, but it has happened on each car I've used it on, and I only notice it with P1. And its not a placebo effect either.

I cannot explain it, but after awhile I got used to it and just ignored it. As for MPG, I stopped asking my wife to jot it down so I cannot say for sure, on my last car, not really affects the MPG, the car just runs more sluggish, especially in a harder acceleration, which was where it was more noticeable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts