Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got my oil changed the other day at NTB since i dont have time to do it on my own right now with buying a house and all. and they were telling me that i needed a few manufacturer recommended maintenances(im at 65k) along with a few other wear items that needed replacing they said that i need to do a brake flush, power steering flush and a coolant flush along with a major tune up. now i know that a brake flush can be done at home i saw a thread a while back explaingin how to make a pressurized thingy with a garden sprayer... so ill probably do that some time soon. my question is how hard is it to do a PS flush if possible to DIY same question for the coolant flush. also what is involved in a major tune up and can i DIY as well. one more question.. how hard is it to replace the belt on our car as i know thats gonna be needing to be replaced soon here, thanks!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
In modern cars, there's really no such thing as a "major tune-up" -- it's really just belts, hoses, fluids and spark plugs that you need to worry about. Your spark plugs are good until at least 80k, so if you're at 65k you can leave them alone. Unless your belts and hoses are starting to look worn (cracks, etc.), they can probably be left alone for a while too. Coolant flushes should happen at least every 3 years, so unless you've done it recently, you're probably due for that. In regards to a power steering flush, I believe HouRman here on the forums has a write-up somewhere; when I read through it, it seemed to be pretty simple and straightforward.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i feel like an idiot because a little after making this thread i found most of the how to's i was asking about... but my belt(i believe the ac belt) is slipping a bit and it looks a bit worn, is it true that we have 2 belts a seprentie belt and the ac belt? a weird thing happened to me tonight though. i was filling up for gas and the pump didnt automatically shut off when it should have causing a good bit of gas to overflow and when i went to start the car after cleaning it off with water then some QD the car wouldnt start as if the battery were dead. i had a friend who was there with give me a jump. could there be any connection between the overflow of gas and the car not wanting to start?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I can't see a correlation with the car not wanting to crank after the pump not stopping. The technology that allows the pump to stop automatically is built into the pump handle itself, not the car. Also, the car not wanting to crank at all wouldn't be fuel-related, but electrical (your battery may be on its way out). Now, had you said that the car cranked but never started, then I'd say you have a bad PCV valve (one of the symptoms of which is not being able to get the car to start easily after filling the tank).

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know the tech is in the pump, but i justdidnt know if there was sensors that stoped the car from being started shortly after an over fill or something.. i dunno. yeah it didnt want to crank at all, when i turned the key it did the little clicking thing, but no cranking and when jumped it started immediately and i havent had any problems since...... its just strange how it happened

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok the car did it again lastnight when i fueled up.... no over filling this time, one click and im done. then when i went to start it... click click click, no cranking. i dont know what the hell it could be, or why it only does it when i fill up. as soon as i got a jump it was good to go. any ideas???

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
^ that is almost certainly a bad PSV (purge solenoid valve). It's an unfortunately common problem, especially on 04-05 models.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmm.. i dunno im getting really tired of this car... i want a speed3 soo bad too... i might just keep it till next year and when i get my tax return get an 09 speed3, maybe even the 2010 speed3 if it lives up to the hype, but im really in love with the 09, this years tax return went to a house YAY!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts