Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just finished up my installation yesterday and i had a few questions, my headlights pulse when the bass hits, i had many many hard starts over the winter, would a new battery cure my problems?? also i am unsure about my crossover settings, it reads 120hz high pass filter, 70hz low pass filter and "full range frequency" which one of these settings should i use? i am running a crossfire 140 watt bridged to a single jl 8wo, thanks

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
If the amp is only powering the sub, you only want to enable the low pass filter (that makes it only see the low notes and not try to reproduce the sounds your normal speakers play).

·
Registered
778 Posts
how much power does your system have?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
140 watts, i only have the one amp and sub the rest are all stock speakers

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so.. does anyone think it's the battery or should i look elsewhere? its an '05 with the stock battery, i don't think 140 watts should make my lights blink, especially considering some of the audio other people on here have

·
Registered
778 Posts
cant hurt to get a better battery. my system is 200 watts, just speakers and amp, no subs. i dont have a problem, then again, my car is an 08 so everything is still fairly new.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, i just wanted to make sure before i spent the money that thats what the problem was

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
If you're still running the stock battery from an 05, a new battery will definitely help. The stock batteries from our cars are not spectacular, I replaced mine last year.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hope so, it seemed really odd to me that they would blink that bad from only 140 watts

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Yeah... they just dim very slightly on my girlfriend's nearly brand new 09 with a 500w RMS Alpine amp, and only with the volume REALLY high.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sooooooo, bought an optima red top today..........for nothing, because my lights still pulse

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, probably going to try that next, i have a buddy club ground kit on there now but i doubt it really does anything, maybe my alternator is a lemon? hard to believe this doesn't happen to anyone else, there is a lot of people on this forum with WAY more audio than me

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
If you don't have HIDs, the stock headlights dim like crazy even without a stereo installed. Even slightly turning the wheel, or shifting into reverse, makes the headlights dim noticeably. There's honestly probably not much you can do to completely solve that issue... it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i always find your posts helpful, especially this one : ) yeah i had noticed that about turning the wheel, locking the doors, shifting into reverse, turning on the A/C...etc. but now i at least feel better, to be honest at this point i had given up anyways, might try "big 3" maybe it will help some, thanks again

·
Registered
46 Posts
You could always use a relay and a dedicated 12VDC line from your battery to help with your headlights. It's as easy as mounting the relay next to your battery/fuse box under the hood, running a 12-16GA wire from the + of your battery to the relay (and perhaps a fuse inline there), cutting the +12VDC line to your headlamps, running a tap from that 12VDC line on headlight wiring harness to your relay, then running the output of the relay to your +12VDC line going to the bulbs. This will ensure you've got a higher gauge wire feeding your bulbs and the draw will be coming straight from the battery, through the relay, to your bulbs. This technique has been used with high wattage bulbs and HID ballasts for quite some time, and proves to be successful. The problem is that the factory wiring sucks and can't support the draw of the bulbs fully. There are a ton of how-to's on the net....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts