Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And the March COTM winner is........ :drumroll:

Oh wait, we have co-winners. So let's all extend our congratulations to rubyred3 and austin102085!!!

rubyred3

Its a 2004 Sedan S, in Velocity Red Mica (the best color) with every
option (including nav) except a sunroof (I'm 6'5", I need all the
headroom I can get, especially with a helmet). Mods include:

Racing Sparco NT-R's in Bronze 17x7 (15.3 lbs a piece) with 215/45-17
BFG G-force sports
Progress Rear Sway Bar (with "declunking" shims)
Mazdaspeed intake
Speedline international front grille
Vinyl removed from doors
Voodoo shift knob, pistol grip style
Aux-in audio hack

Nothing too over the top, but I've yet to find a single person who
dislike a single one of my mods, I get asked all the time "is that a
mazdaspeed 3"? Which I take as a compliment. It means they like how it
looks but think its clean enough that it must have been factory tuned
that way. My mom can still drive it and not complain about a stiff
ride or too much noise. I've done the over the top tuning thing on my
integra (my last car), on this car I wanted something that was
definitely improved in many areas, but still approachable to even the
non "tuner". I call it "universal appeal". Its also quite competitive
in STS despite being pretty underprepped for that class; a testament
to how well the stock suspension is set up if you ask me.

Add'l info:

-blacked out badges
-2.3 badges removed
-grounded TB
-new brake pads, front and rear (Hawk HPS)
-rockblocker smoked foglight covers
-MB Quart front speakers
-red painted calipers with mazda3 decals
-black painted front hubs (rear rotors were recently replaced, and I need to paint the new rotors)
-black Gorilla spline drive lugs

also, future plans are:

to keep this car as an excellent driver until 200k miles and get something faster when I can afford it (likely and evo). I will replace parts with aftermarket as they wear out, when I need new shocks, Koni FSD's are going in, when I need a new clutch, I'll be getting a lightweight flywheel and a stage 1 clutch.

austin102085

Hi my name is Austin. I have had my Mazda about 2 years now. It is a mazda3 5 door lava orange(repainted). I live in beaufort sc AKA parris island. I have entered my car in a couple car shows and won first in all of them including 2006 nopi natonals in atlanta ga. Exterior Mods: Full body kit Shaved doors 10% tint

Engine/Performance Mods:
Draxas Header
Draxas High Flow Race Pipe
Draxas Cat Back Exhaust

Interior Mods:
Mazda chrome/Brushed Aluminum side sills
Twm short shift
Twm .44 shift knob
Rocky mountain radar detector/blocker
3 gauge pod
Mazda "3" badge on ash tray
Custom Orange crushed velvet
7" In Dash Tv/dvd Player
MA Audio 12" hk subs X2
Alpine MRD-M1005 </S-M1GORZhlQEJ/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=500MRDM105> X2

Wheels/Suspension:
Kruz K-26
Tires yokohama 215/35/18
Future Mods:
Hiboost turbo kit
Rods/piston upgrade

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Congrats guys.....great rides!!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
[quote author=zoom_craigy_zoom link=topic=71019.msg1247601#msg1247601 date=1173020838]
How come there wasn't some sort of tiebreaker?
[/quote]
He with the most mods FTW perhaps? A meet & greet followed by a rousing game of "chicken"?
:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Congrats!!! That is such a hot ride!!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
congrats x2

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
[quote author=zoom_craigy_zoom link=topic=71019.msg1253138#msg1253138 date=1173236779]
I hadn't even noticed the first time I looked at the pictures that the hatches doors were shaved. He should win. :lol: That looks so clean.
[/quote]Wow, I didn't even catch that. Good eye, Craig. I knew there was something that looked very clean on the 3/4 shots.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Great rides, and both not lowered I'm surprised but I like them. Maybe I won't lower my car.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
hate on my non-lowered car all you want, but the fact is, the stock suspension is pretty damn awesome as it is, last autocross, I finished second in STS with my only performance mods being my wheels/tires, progress rear sway bar, and intake, that tells me that the stock suspension is pretty damn good as it is.

I will never compromise the performance of my car just for looks, so if I ever did lower it, it would have to be either springs AND shocks, or coilovers, no lowering springs on stock shocks for me thanks

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Lowering springs with stock shocks is the most popular way to do it. You should try it. The lower springs with a higher rate make a good diffrence.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
I have tried it in past cars, and found that it upsets the car too much. The suspension becomes underdamped (or less overdamped), and bounces as a consequence (some say otherwise, but this is simple physics, and undeniable), not to mention, the loss of suspension travel really hurt the cars ability to corner hard, as despite the higher springs rates, I found myself hitting the bumpstops when really cornering hard, causing massive understeer. There is something to be said for spring/shock combos that are matched, otherwise, you have no idea what the frequency response of the suspension system will be. The only springs I would ever consider for my car would be the racing beat springs, as they are the only springs on the market with their primary focus on performance, and no concession to looks (this is why people complain that they are hardly any drop at all, suspension travel is a good thing). Even then, I would have to do them at the same time as Koni Yellows, as I know that the spring rates are higher, and as stated earlier, this will lead to an underdamped suspension. Really, I would prefer some shocks that allow for adjustment of damping rates on both rebound AND compression. Given the rough surfaces that some of our local autocrosses are held on, an underdamped suspension/bounciness is unacceptable to me.

Fact is, mazda did a very good job on the suspension of this car, I beat two different cars (one mazda3 and one BMW 328) at the last autocross that had fully prepped suspensions (aftermarket springs, shocks, and sways), both of them on stickier tires than what I'm running, and both of them are excellent drivers. I see no reason to upset a good thing, just to take out the understeer that the lawyers made them put into the car (with the rear sway).

·
Registered
135 Posts
that is one SWEET sedan!

:jealous:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts