Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im pretty sure that the calipers are fine on my car but i was just wondering if anyone has had their calipers go bad. my '05 only has 40k on it and the warranty is up next month. im just wondering if brake calipers are covered under the factory warranty. i think they are but brakes are considered a wear item so i could see a dealership trying to get out of having to warranty those parts.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
I don't recall anyone posting this as an issue. Calipers should almost never need replacing.

Kinda curious why you're requesting info on failing calipers if your's are fine. It's a random part to inquire on given the overall list of other parts that may fail on a car post warranty.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Brake pads themselves are not covered by the warranty...and as others said, the calipers would be if something was wrong with them. I have never seen anyone have a problem on the board with calipers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey - I spent $400 plus this weekend on having my "defective" calipers replaced. My car is an 04' with 55k miles on it...Rear brakes had been squealing for a couple weeks and were looking very worn compared to front brakes. Mechanic said my rear calipers were too tight (?) and applying too much pressure, even when not breaking, causing the uneven wear on the brakes/rotors. After checking out this site, I've seen it stated several times calipers shouldn't have to be replaced. Just seeking some insight and also putting this info out to others having brake/caliper issues.

·
Registered
73 Posts
if your car is within warranty period, it should be covered.

brake calipers do need to be rebuilt, but only after many miles. 100k or beyond.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=yldwun578 link=topic=137960.msg3012104#msg3012104 date=1237838405]
Hey - I spent $400 plus this weekend on having my "defective" calipers replaced. My car is an 04' with 55k miles on it...Rear brakes had been squealing for a couple weeks and were looking very worn compared to front brakes. Mechanic said my rear calipers were too tight (?) and applying too much pressure, even when not breaking, causing the uneven wear on the brakes/rotors. After checking out this site, I've seen it stated several times calipers shouldn't have to be replaced. Just seeking some insight and also putting this info out to others having brake/caliper issues.
[/quote]

The rear pads on the 3 wear faster than the fronts because they're a softer organic compound than the front pads, not because the calipers are faulty. The uneven wear is also a common issue. Sounds like your mechanic may have tried to take you for a ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts