Mazda3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just signed up to do some research for my GF's brother. He's very interested in picking up a M3 (he was also looking at the Matrix but they didn't have the version he wanted and doesn't want to wait 3 months!).

So at first we went to the dealer to get a close look at the car and the dealer somewhat pushed us to sit down and "discuss numbers".

One thing I noticed is the extended warrenty ($1500-ish CAN) is only good for 160,000 KM (7 years) but the factory warrenty is already 80,000 KM. 80K KM for $1500 seems a bit steep to me!

So folks, did you guys get the extended warrenty? What's the fine print say about "diagnostic" charges? I myself own a new Matrix XRS (no flames please! :D ) and was supprised that I have to pay for "diagnostics" when I take my car in for service on the extended warrenty. Does Mazda have any "hidden charges" for their warrenty work? Have any of you had any issues (in the past of course) getting warrenty work done?

I must say the M3 is a sweet ride. He's going for a fully loaded M3 Sport GT with the GFX? package minus leather. He can't drive a manual so it's AT only for him though (I just can't let myself give him my 6 speed for him to learn! :D ).

We're going back next week for a good test drive and discuss the price :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
Everything that I've ever read says that extended warranties for new cars is pretty much a complete waste of money unless its a brand that you feel might have problems in the future... and since most things I've read says Mazda's have a good track record, I'd say the warranty is a waste of money.

·
Registered
882 Posts
If you plan on keeping the car longer and want the protection they can be useful. The nice thing is that you can buy the Mazda protection right up till the end of the original warranty so if you can't decide now or don't have the cash you can get it later.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Agree with poster about NOT buying. The experts all agree that warranties should NOT be purchased. In fact, I have never read/heard a so called expert say to buy these things. Spend the extra money elsewhere.

Kevin

·
Registered
627 Posts
Salesguy

The salesman told me not to buy it, he said they're a rip off. That says it all right there, and he works for Mazda!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

I wish I had known before when I got my Matrix. But then again, it's a 200,000 KM warrenty which I should go through within 5 years so it's a little bit more worth it for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.