Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 2013 Mazda3 iTouring sedan a week ago. I've only owned one car previous to this - a 2002 Toyota Corolla which, apart from the oil changes, new tires and the like, never gave me any major issues with at all.

I did a bit of research on the car/buying process, but was not ready for the question on extended warranty. Finance guy offered $2,500 for a 7 year/100,000 mile extended warranty through Easy Care (the gold package). I declined, but he left the offer on the table for a bit.

Did a bit more research, and see that Easy Care is technically not the warranty provider for Mazda's anymore...they do it through themselves. I also called up Easy Care, who offered me similar rates. In terms of warranty, Easy Care seems to be the a decent provider for warranties.

Any thoughts on whether I should go for it? Consensus from what I've been reading is to pass (never to trust extended warranties!), but I want to protect my investment. At the same time, $2,500 seems a bit high. I do put quite a few miles on the car - around 270miles a week for now at least for my work commute. If I should go for it, what's a more reasonable figure?

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
26 Posts
I look at it this way: $2,500 would pay for a lot of repair work, and if you invest the money now instead of buying the warranty, you can turn it into even more cash. Consumer Reports and J.D. Power agree that the Mazda3's pretty reliable, so unless peace of mind is simply worth that much to you, I'd decline the dealer's offer.

· Registered
285 Posts
We recently used the extended warranty on my wife's hatch for a new transmission. Without it, we would have had to she'll out nearly $1,800.00 + rental car! They also repaired the fast-flashing right turn signal, which consequently decided to revert back to it's faulty ways the very next day. The extended warranty typically covers a rental as well. Good thing because my wife's 3 was at the dealer for almost 3mos due to the trans. Admittedly though, part of the reason it took so long was actually due to the extended warranty, lol. Our service rep told me that without the warranty, we would not have been able to keep a loaner car for that entire duration.

Now that I've had to use one, the next used vehicle I buy will also have an extended warranty!

For the record, my wife HATES the new Mazda 6! :lol: I liked it. :chuckles:

· Registered
634 Posts
Extended warranty you do not have to get right away either.

You can purchase it when your main warranty is about to run out.

You can even purchase the extended warranty after your main warranty runs out also. But you have to get your car inspected by certified mechanic before they will approve the extended for purchase.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.