Mazda3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth it? I know Canada and the US have different plans but I'm curious to hear a little feedback on this topic (not much found via a search). Who bought it and how do you justify the cost. Those sticking with base factory warranty, do you have an opinion on why you didn't go for the extended? I'm rolling this one around and can't make up my mind if this is a good investment - it's basically insurance and I hate insurance :x

·
Registered
168 Posts
Black7 said:
Is it worth it? I know Canada and the US have different plans but I'm curious to hear a little feedback on this topic (not much found via a search). Who bought it and how do you justify the cost. Those sticking with base factory warranty, do you have an opinion on why you didn't go for the extended? I'm rolling this one around and can't make up my mind if this is a good investment - it's basically insurance and I hate insurance :x
Hey Black7,

I purchased the extended warranty and Gap insurance. It bumped my monthly payments up $11 extra per month. The initial increase was about $37 extra per month, but I negotiated that down. My finance manager gave me the "platinum plan"...it covers things like 24x7 roadside assistance, free tire repairs, free loaner vehicle and many more amenties. If anything it gives me peace of mind for the term of my loan. That is how I justified purchasing it. And $11 extra a month...put it on my tab.

Hope that helps.

Spencer

·
Registered
111 Posts
Black7 said:
Those sticking with base factory warranty, do you have an opinion on why you didn't go for the extended
You're right when you say you're rolling the dice. An extended warrantee is just that, a gamble.

I don't belive in buying an extended warrantee in general and cars are no different. If I have to pay the money later, fine. But I'm not paying it now. Based on my experience with my two previous Mazdas, I'm not worried.

Another thing to remember, you have to follow warrantee guidelines during the extended period also. Be sure to factor the extra money for dealship servicing into the equasion when making your decision.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have both made good points. knowing my luck, everything will stop working the day after the warranty expires. Picking up the car tomorow - I'll have to sleep on it - thanks all

·
Registered
882 Posts
FWIW Canadian warranties come with Roadside anyways. I didn't get it but I'm more the type that doesn't keep cars very long outside their warranty periods anyways. ;)

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I heard you can opt to extend the warranty up until you reach the end of your standard warranty. Is this true?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
zaimon said:
I heard you can opt to extend the warranty up until you reach the end of your standard warranty. Is this true?
That was true when my mom bought her Subaru in September, but of course the F&I guy said it would be more expensive later. I told her to wait, but she bought an extended warranty anyway. Oh Well. I am leaning toward no extended warranty when I buy my MZ3 in March, because the standard warranty is 4 years, and I should have no car payment by then. So any extra repairs should not be a problem unless of course an auto trans goes, then I am screwed :cry:

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I think I'd be less obliged to buy the extended warranty is Mazda offered 4 years/60k miles. At present, 3 years/50k (their old warranty) worked out perfectly for my driving habits.

Since the Mz3 is built in Japan I'm not too worried about problems after the warranty expires. My mom's 2000 MPV is approaching 125k miles and is still running great!

American made cars are designed to break once the warranty expires.

·
Registered
111 Posts
zaimon said:
It's true. They stealership meationed that it's better to buy the extended warrantee when you buy the car. If you wait until later, it may cost more depending on the car's history. If you go the extended route, I would get it at time of purchse.

Black7: Good luck tomorrow! go with whatever you're more comfortable with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.