Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just purchase a 07 mz3 hb 2.3. I purchased an extended warranty on the engine and transmission. I was hoping to get a catback installed but am wondering how that would affect my warranty? As in, if something went wrong the dealer could pull some bullshit and blame it on my exhaust. What do you all think?

·
Registered
186 Posts
No it does not void your warranty.. Now if you were to install a aftermarket clutch or something and your transmission went out then you would not be covered.

·
Registered
860 Posts
[quote author=supercharged link=topic=135446.msg2915751#msg2915751 date=1233880926]
No it does not void your warranty.. Now if you were to install a aftermarket clutch or something and your transmission went out then you would not be covered.
[/quote]

This is only partly true. If you change the exhaust out you will void the warranty on the exhaust not the entire car. Now if for some reason your motor blows up and Mazda says it is because of the exhaust and they are voiding the warranty they can not do that since they would have to prove to you that the exhaust was the cause of the explosion. If they can not prove it then your warranty will still be in effect for everything except the exhaust.. Hope that clears things up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You know...I also have an 07 HB with the extended warranty and I wanted to know the same. I called the warranty department at Mazda USA and they told me that it would void my warranty if they found the damage could be traced back to the exhaust, or intake for that matter. I figured they were B.S.ing me, but the Mazda dealer I go to on Ala Moana Blvd in Honolulu is pretty strict and they would probably blame the aftermarket stuff anyway. I'll probably still do it though, just gotta save up the money.

·
Registered
186 Posts
[quote author=prototype99 link=topic=135446.msg2917166#msg2917166 date=1233934882]
[quote author=supercharged link=topic=135446.msg2915751#msg2915751 date=1233880926]
[/quote]

This is only partly true. If you change the exhaust out you will void the warranty on the exhaust not the entire car. Now if for some reason your motor blows up and Mazda says it is because of the exhaust and they are voiding the warranty they can not do that since they would have to prove to you that the exhaust was the cause of the explosion. If they can not prove it then your warranty will still be in effect for everything except the exhaust.. Hope that clears things up.
[/quote]

The chances of the exhaust causing a motor to have issues is pretty much non-existent except in very rare instances.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I can not remember the case but in the 70's there was a big lawsuit and the outcome was any after market part that you put on your car just because it isn't oem or a dealership part will not void your warranty. And for them to void it they need to do extensive testing to prove that part did indeed cause the failure.

Word.

·
Registered
860 Posts
[quote author=supercharged link=topic=135446.msg2921317#msg2921317 date=1234104156]
[quote author=prototype99 link=topic=135446.msg2917166#msg2917166 date=1233934882]
[/quote]

[/quote]

The chances of the exhaust causing a motor to have issues is pretty much non-existent except in very rare instances.
[/quote]

That was just an extreme example. You would really have to f**k up an exhaust install to blow up your motor.

·
Registered
75 Posts
[quote author=MZR23MZ3 link=topic=135446.msg2921350#msg2921350 date=1234105375]
I can not remember the case but in the 70's there was a big lawsuit and the outcome was any after market part that you put on your car just because it isn't oem or a dealership part will not void your warranty. And for them to void it they need to do extensive testing to prove that part did indeed cause the failure.

Word.
[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

·
Registered
3 Posts
i had wondered this too and asked the dealer himself. he said it only voids the warranty if you install it incorrectly...so just get someone who knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The dealers definition of installed correctly is having them or a licensed shop install it. They believe that we are all stupid asses that don't know how to put gas in our car. If you mess up an exhaust install you really should be working on a call. It's not that hard. Specially if you install it and damage your motor....

·
Registered
235 Posts
[quote author=prototype99 link=topic=135446.msg2952844#msg2952844 date=1235268677]
The dealers definition of installed correctly is having them or a licensed shop install it. They believe that we are all stupid asses that don't know how to put gas in our car. If you mess up an exhaust install you really should be working on a call. It's not that hard. Specially if you install it and damage your motor....
[/quote]

or if you are a mechanic by trade, they cant get shit off me, Im a professional.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts