Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so please let me know if i'm way off base here. i just need some advice. i have a non-welded aftermarket exhaust just for reference.

someone once told me stainless steel expands when heated. i am also led to believe that exhaust leaks tend to create a mild amount of resonance on their own inside the cabin. so given these two factors, and my non-welded exhaust, once the exhaust heats up it should be more prone to leaking since the steel expands a little and any leaks would only get a little larger and allow more air out.

basically the more i drive and the more my exhaust heats up, the louder it gets. it is actually fairly quiet after i turn my car on in the morning. but once i drive it a little the exhaust really gets boomy especially during engine braking and that 3k rpm sweet spot.

any thoughts? i know i should get it fully wleded but is this an accuate assumption or am i just wrong?

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Easiest way to check is to look under the car where the exhaust is fitted together. There will be some soot around where the 2 pipes connect is there is a good leak.
It is hard to have a clamped exhaust that will not leak. Especially one that will allow the exhaust to be removed later on.

There are different types of clamps you can use to fix it if you don't want to weld it up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My Mazdaspeed exhaust started sounding different to me and I checked around all the clamps and no leaks. Finally had my wife gas it while I was looking and the weld around the pipe coming out of the muffler was cracked all the way around and moving and the exhaust was pouring out around it. Luckily it is still under warranty and they are going to replace it. Just may want to check around the muffler, and guys with the MS exhaust, keep an eye on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts