Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there, need some n00b help/opinions. I've come from a long history of Impreza ownership(s) including N/A and Turbo. One of the things I love most absolutely about my Subaru's is their sound.

Now, we just very recently purchased a MazdaSpeed 3 and are filling out our shopping list. I've done a little bit of research on youtube, found some great sounding exhausts... BUT, I'd love some firsthand perspectives from the members here. I'm leaning towards the Borla cat-back, talk me out of it? Also heard a COBB TBE that sounded great, but it doesn't seem to be in production? what do they actually sound like though, in real life? need the "deep and rumbly" .... coughing and burbling. We're also prep'ing the car to STU rules (SCCA autocross) so I'd need to retain the last CAT (or replace it with a hiflow)... so any CBE/TBE would need a CAT very near where the final OE CAT was located.

thanks!

oh, and a CAI and turbo-inlet is in the works, probably Cobb.

·
Registered
165 Posts
cobb tbe is in the market. And when I was choosing between borla, greddy and hks, I found out that borla one is only 2.75" and most of other cbe are at least 3". So becareful with that. If I were u I would go with hks cbe or full cobb tbe.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Catted CP-E dp with a stock catback sounds insane. It is a little mellow for what I believe you are looking for. You should remove 1 resonator at a time untill you get the tone you are looking for. This esxhaust get get VERY loud VERY fast.

Edit: Welcome to the crew!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
im with the him^... i have a catless downpipe and i took off the 2nd resonator and man its a sexy sound from the outside. from inside its at the point where anymore it would considered too loud. this setup was somewhat drony and bassy from the inside. I would recommend taking off the muffler in the back first (which is like a resonator actually) if you want that devil to come out the exhaust tip. I got stupid (kinda) and got the racing beat muffler only from their catback system and now its super quiet. like im driving a electric car j/k... i like it .. its super quiet on the inside. but thats not what you want to know... i say save your money and just start removing the resonator(s)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I just installed the Cobb CBE on my CP-e catted downpipe. Deep and burbly for sure. Very quiet though - in a good way.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
interesting replies here, thanks! and thanks for the heads-up on the Borla piping.

Not sure I'm looking for just louder honestly. the stock exhaust, imho, doesn't have exactly the type of voice I'm looking for and removing a resonator or two probably wouldn't help with that(no?). I'm looking for more Harley and less Citreon C4 rally car. make sense? Louder is ok though, for sure... it's just the wife's daily driver, she won't mind :)

...and I'm already disappointed in how the stock exhaust drones some, first car I've owned that does that...

Catted CP-E or catless CP-E?

also, COBB isn't listing the cat-back on their website... am I missing it somewhere?
http://www.cobbtuning.com/categories/?id=3112

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=HitIt link=topic=138061.msg2976502#msg2976502 date=1236215036]Very quiet though - in a good way.
[/quote]more so than stock? :(
and when you say "catted" downpipe do you mean de-catted/catless?

How's the install on that anyways? tight fit and bloody knuckles or tolerable? I hired out the DP install on our STi, just couldn't get in there without a proper lift/tools...

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
[quote author=dMikko link=topic=138061.msg2976117#msg2976117 date=1236203223]
We're also prep'ing the car to STU rules (SCCA autocross) so I'd need to retain the last CAT (or replace it with a hiflow)... so any CBE/TBE would need a CAT very near where the final OE CAT was located.
[/quote]

Considering this, you could go two ways:

1. Get a CP-E CATLESS downpipe (replaces 2nd cat), and weld in a HFC near OEM location
2. Get a TurboXS or Corksport catless downpipe (do not replace 2nd cat), and you keep your stock cat or replace with high-flow.

You may want to check out the GHL "drone-free" catback, since you don't like drone on the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
692 Posts
[quote author=MazdaX2C link=topic=138061.msg2976936#msg2976936 date=1236230050]
This is my MS3 with SU test pipe and HKS cbe...Its not to load but when you open it up it really sounds amazing!
/url]
[/quote]

Ugh god your car is just fucking beautiful.

·
Registered
518 Posts
On the "other" forum it was all agreed the Cobb TBE was the best option if you wanted the subaru like sound. Also takes out the drone. Not sure where it went though...some vendors may still carry it not sure..

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
if u love the sound of ur subaru's boxer engine...check out the corksport CBE.

I got it on my car...and I've had COUNTLESS people come up to me and tell me they either thought my car was a subaru at first, or it sounds VERY similar to a subaru's boxer engine.

The CBE is one of the best priced on the market...and its a high quality CBE. I had no fitment problems at all...and no hickups during the install. Everything went in with ease.

·
Registered
368 Posts
[quote author=AFcadet link=topic=138061.msg2977718#msg2977718 date=1236276808]

I got it on my car...and I've had COUNTLESS people come up to me and tell me they either thought my car was a subaru at first, or it sounds VERY similar to a subaru's boxer engine.

The CBE is one of the best priced on the market...and its a high quality CBE. I had no fitment problems at all...and no hickups during the install. Everything went in with ease.

[/quote]plus 1... I've heard this CBE on a local MS3 too, it's a badass sounding exhaust tone.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
[quote author=dMikko link=topic=138061.msg2976531#msg2976531 date=1236215553]
[quote author=HitIt link=topic=138061.msg2976502#msg2976502 date=1236215036]Very quiet though - in a good way.
[/quote]more so than stock? :(
and when you say "catted" downpipe do you mean de-catted/catless?

How's the install on that anyways? tight fit and bloody knuckles or tolerable? I hired out the DP install on our STi, just couldn't get in there without a proper lift/tools...
[/quote]

You know, I’d say it’s just about the same as stock, except quieter at idle and much less drone. Way less drone on deceleration, a bit less on the freeway too.

To be honest I’m not all that excited about the Cobb exhaust. It’s just SOOOO quiet! The CPe downpipe to the factory MS3 exhaust seems louder to me. Maybe it needs to break in a little, I’ve only had the chance to drive it about 20 miles.

Idle is almost silent inside the car. Sounds pretty nice and deep from outside though. I have this bolted up to my CPe downpipe WITH the cat.

The downpipe install took me about four hours, it’s not all that bad. Tight quarters for sure though. No lift needed, just a good floor jack and some tall stands. There are lots of threads with DP installs that you should check out.

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
i second the HKS! one the best exhaut on just about every cars!

·
Registered
234 Posts
[/quote]

Ugh god your car is just fucking beautiful.
[/quote]

Thanks!

and I found one more video of my car with different rims but you can really hear the exhaust...many have said that it has the SUBI sound...not sure if I agree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYnd4MsyVUA&feature=channel#

Got to love all the shit talking on my videos...just read some off the BS people talk...most recent douche said the car looks like a PT Cruiser

·
Registered
187 Posts
I agree with the above post.
The GHL catback has an equivalent sound also and has an amazing quality of construction.
check the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VJTuv8w-k0#
Some pics of the GHL on my car:
http://picasaweb.google.com/daveinla/MS3#
I can only highly recommend this one, I love the sound of it. The good thing is that it is "non droning". It is much more melodious and nice when driving in town, but the droning at freeway speed disappears and the cabin noise level is much more enjoyable than with stock exhaust. The best of both world !

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[quote author=AFcadet link=topic=138061.msg2977718#msg2977718 date=1236276808]
[/quote]ok, i've done some more digging around and I'm starting to lean towards corksport. bummer they're in WA though... shipping AND sales tax :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
just get both your resonators cut out it makes a huge difference in the deepness of the exhaust note as well as being just the right loudness, and for 80 bucks you cant beat it. Theres tons of guys who have done it on here who can attest to that. I just got mine done last week and I wish i had done it the first day i got the car.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts