Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know what opinion you guys have on these clutch kits. I plan on turboing my car eventually but want to know if stage one can take 250hp when turbo. I would also get the excedy flywheel with it.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
You should get the Stage2. The Stage2 will be perfect. Stage1 is at the border line... The Stage2 will last longer and hold stronger. I will be getting the Stage2 myself.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does stage two engage the clutch quicker when shifting?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
if you go stage2 you HAVE to turbo, or else the car will be a bitch to drive.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
also get lightweight flywheel with turbo.. thats what im considering..
stage 2 with lightweight flywheel.... drive like that for a month without a turbo. then boost it

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=Verto link=topic=134776.msg2900774#msg2900774 date=1233339084]
[/quote]

Why is that??

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
[quote author=LuisDC link=topic=134776.msg2901606#msg2901606 date=1233360278]
[/quote]

Why is that??
[/quote]
Lack of power. It would take A LOT more slipping to get the car moving and it will feel hella sluggish.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
[quote author=Tripleskate link=topic=134776.msg2901654#msg2901654 date=1233363196]
[quote author=LuisDC link=topic=134776.msg2901606#msg2901606 date=1233360278]
[/quote]

Why is that??
[/quote]
Lack of power. It would take A LOT more slipping to get the car moving and it will feel hella sluggish.
[/quote]

It's really not that bad... I tried a ACT stage2 clutch on a focus and IMO it was perfect. I love the quick engagement and the engagement was not harsh at all...

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
[/quote]

uhm.. not true at all :lol: i have a spec stage 3 in my car and wouldnt hesitate to run it without the turbo. hell, 90% of my driving is stop and go traffic jams and its not any stiffer than my stock clutch. only difference is that when it engages it has more hold to it and grabs quicker.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
[quote author=*txmica3* link=topic=134776.msg2902410#msg2902410 date=1233389867]
[/quote]

uhm.. not true at all :lol: i have a spec stage 3 in my car and wouldnt hesitate to run it without the turbo. hell, 90% of my driving is stop and go traffic jams and its not any stiffer than my stock clutch. only difference is that when it engages it has more hold to it and grabs quicker.
[/quote]

Yeah so true! Verto... Have you even tried a Stage2 clutch? Please only comment if you have tried it personally and believe it is a bitch to drive. But I have drove the act Stage2 clutch and it was easy to drive. The Act and Exedy Stage2 is about the same. In this statement... "if you go stage2 you HAVE to turbo, or else the car will be a bitch to drive." I think it should have went "if you go stage2, it will be a bitch for me, Verto, to drive." :shock: :lol: j/p man. But really please let me know if you have personally tested it out...

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
lol. i have the mazdaspeed accessory one. it's way stiffer than stock. which leads me to believe a stage2 would be even harder. and no power requires alot of slipping to get going, this will result in premature wear.

·
Registered
656 Posts
well, id like to just comment on this real quick...i have the exedy flywheel and stage 2 clutch and it drives amazing. just like txmica3 said, he wouldnt hesitate to drive it without a turbo as well..im not turbo...i changed my clutch because the stock clutch just couldnt handle the added power anymore..drove me nuts !!! everytime i wanted to push my car, SLIPPPPPPPPAGEEE. i got so sick of it that i finally saved up for the exedy stage 2 and lightwheight flywheel...i can see what some ppl are trying to say that the stage 2 would be hard to drive if your NA, but i also have the lightwheight flywheel which has way more inertia and im sure the stock clutch would take forever to engage fully. but i still wouldnt hesitate to drive the stage 2 clutch. anyway, its a great product though !! i love it, and it lasts a long time

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So If I have a NA and plan on a turboing in a year should stage 2 and lightflywheel make my car feel slugish on take off?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
[quote author=basspumpindj link=topic=134776.msg2902907#msg2902907 date=1233428155]
well, id like to just comment on this real quick...i have the exedy flywheel and stage 2 clutch and it drives amazing. just like txmica3 said, he wouldnt hesitate to drive it without a turbo as well..im not turbo...i changed my clutch because the stock clutch just couldnt handle the added power anymore..drove me nuts !!! everytime i wanted to push my car, SLIPPPPPPPPAGEEE. i got so sick of it that i finally saved up for the exedy stage 2 and lightwheight flywheel...i can see what some ppl are trying to say that the stage 2 would be hard to drive if your NA, but i also have the lightwheight flywheel which has way more inertia and im sure the stock clutch would take forever to engage fully. but i still wouldnt hesitate to drive the stage 2 clutch. anyway, its a great product though !! i love it, and it lasts a long time
[/quote]

your clutch must have just been toast to begin with, because you should not have had any issues with the stock clutch with bolt ons. hell, go into my thread (link in sig) and go to post #2 where my videos are. that video there was taken with the stock clutch in the car. it slipped a little but not bad considering. plus it was shot anyway. a month or so after that video it died completely.

clutches wont make your car feel sluggish (i wish nobody had said that, now everyones going to think its true). the whole "sluggish on take off" thing is due to flywheels, if anything. getting to light of a flywheel will make the car more difficult to get rolling since there is less momentous weight rolling (more weight + speed = momentum). this is regardless what power/mods/car you have, its just physics. lighter flywheels are great when your rolling since its less weight to turn, however getting them to build momentum takes more speed and time. stock flywheels are pretty heavy in order to make the car easier to drive in stock form.

the only thing that catches me off guard in my car now is that there is NO slipping.. at all. when the engagement point hits, theres about an inch where it is engaged.. then it is not. this one just grabs. (note that pedal weight is the exact same, so dont think im getting my calves worked out here lol).

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yeh I know what you mean man..ill rephrase what I said..the clutch doesn't slip A LOT..in fact it only does it when it wants to haha idk what's wrong with it..but sometimes when it slips its a pain in the ass..it only happens if I beat on it and redline the gears..between a full exhaust with no cats, intake, and the freezing cold weather here in NJ, my car just had a pair of balls so the stock clutch slipped. I'd be cruising in 5th at 60mph and give it gas and the rpms started to go up real fast, for a second I was thinking my car grew itself a turbo..only to find out it was the clutch sliiping..oh and I like what you said about momentum..I'm an engineering major nd its nice to see people who knnow a lot about physics..anyway this whole clutch ordeal is all over with becuz I have exedy stage 2 now so no more aggrivation

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
[quote author=basspumpindj link=topic=134776.msg2903423#msg2903423 date=1233453548]
Yeh I know what you mean man..ill rephrase what I said..the clutch doesn't slip A LOT..in fact it only does it when it wants to haha idk what's wrong with it..but sometimes when it slips its a pain in the ass..it only happens if I beat on it and redline the gears..between a full exhaust with no cats, intake, and the freezing cold weather here in NJ, my car just had a pair of balls so the stock clutch slipped. I'd be cruising in 5th at 60mph and give it gas and the rpms started to go up real fast, for a second I was thinking my car grew itself a turbo..only to find out it was the clutch sliiping..oh and I like what you said about momentum..I'm an engineering major nd its nice to see people who knnow a lot about physics..anyway this whole clutch ordeal is all over with becuz I have exedy stage 2 now so no more aggrivation
[/quote]

im in undergrad ME myself ;)

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
sweet deal man, im up at Texas Tech :p

but yeah, right now im running spec stage 3 clutch but with the stock flywheel. easy to drive but know where the engagement point is at! or else you might stall the first couple times!

·
Registered
614 Posts
i have a auto turbo can i beniefit with flywheel?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts