Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have installed many systems before myself but am thinking about letting a pro-audio shop do it this time. They have equipment that I don't have (RTA meter). I have the Speed 3 with 3 bose. I like to do stuff myself but wonder if I am better off paying someone that could get the system tweaked to compition level for sound quality?..What is everyone else doing?...Pro shop install or DIY?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
onetechyguy,

I'd pay the pro's....never done any installations myself...plus if something gets screwed up, then you'd have someone to blame vs if you do it yourself. :lol:

·
Registered
306 Posts
^ Ditto. What kind of equipment are you installing that would warrant tuning with an RTA? If all you're doing is a $150 set of Pioneer speakers from Best Buy and a mid-range head unit, forget it. If you're putting in high-end components with a dedicated active EQ/crossover, then the RTA tune will be worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
You'll probably screw something up if you do it yourself... heaven knows I did. But you'll save a lot of money, you'll learn about your system and your car... and you will do it even better the next time.

If money is no object, and you want the best possible install (and don't care if you learn how to do it...) then go with the shop. You'll probably get a better quality install truthfully (if you go to a GOOD shop)..

Personally, I'm glad I did my own.. mistakes and all.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Putting in new speakers into the doors is not hard, and can save you money. But an amp or a new head unit is something that you have to do very carefully, especially if you need to run a new power cable from the battery.

The underside of the dash of modern cars is a lot more complex than it used to be. I'd rather have someone I could sue if they screwed up, so I spent $200 having things installed when I added my new sub amp.

It isn't exactly fun work either.

Finally, there is the old question .. do you have more time or money? A dealer install can save you a lot of time, since you can drop the car off and do other things while it is being worked on, and they can do the work in much less time since they have all of the best tools, plus invaluable prior experience.

·
Registered
9,562 Posts
its not as hard as it seems.

i did it on my car with no prior experience using some diagram on the back of the RCA wire or amp install box lol.
and the internet i think too.

pretty simple stuff.

make sure your ground hole is good tho.
mine is slightly too big and it makes sparks sometimes. haha.
crazy stuff. but its easy stuff.

·
Registered
581 Posts
i took the middle of the road.....did the sound insulation, speakers in all 4 doors, fiberglass custom sub box and sub install in the box, built an amp rack and installed on the back of the seats. kept the HU

then took it to a sound shop. They did the power wiring, LOC, RCA wiring, a sub volume dial, and carpeted the amprack. Gave me an extra swatch so I could carpet the sub box. Clean install. Parts & labor for the shop ran $350. Well worth the time saved & money spent. and saved a bundle for all the work I did myself.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
[quote author=onetechyguy link=topic=74744.msg1337131#msg1337131 date=1176599648]
Hi, I have installed many systems before myself but am thinking about letting a pro-audio shop do it this time. They have equipment that I don't have (RTA meter). I have the Speed 3 with 3 bose. I like to do stuff myself but wonder if I am better off paying someone that could get the system tweaked to compition level for sound quality?..What is everyone else doing?...Pro shop install or DIY?
[/quote]

I personally enjoy DIY projects. However, not really for the fact that its fun, but more for the fact that I trust that I would be more careful with my own property than someone else would. But I work fulltime and am starting a business on the side. Therein lies the dilemma. Do I have the hours it would take to tear apart my interior and do what I want done? Hah, no. :)

What I'm doing is a full revamp of the stock bose ms3 system.

Dynamat Extreme and Dynaliner (Complete Coverage: Floor, Hatch, Doors, Roof)
Infinity KAPPA Components (Front)
Infinity KAPPA 2-ways (Rear)
JL Audio 8w3v3 Subwoofer (in jack compartment located Stealth Box)
Rockford Fosgate 450.4 Amp (under driver seat)
Rockford Fosgate 325.1 Amp (under passenger seat)

Ive already been quoted 800 for the Dynamatting/lining job. I speculate that with the prices I'm buying the speakers/amps at, I will fall just under $2000 installed and out the door. Now don't get me wrong, thats a lot of money. But the fact that I'll be enjoying a luxury-like tranquility in my cabin, and incredible sound, for the next 5-6 years makes it a VERY worthwhile investment.

So I'll be taking it to a reputable installer at a Tweeter shop about 15-20 miles from where I live (but well worth it). They are insured and the guy does incredible install work. Very careful and passionate about his work.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I do it myself because I dont have the money to pay pros. Plus I know how and I take my time and get good results. I've seen a few pro shops do installs and the quality is for shit. Boxes not secured, wires showing. etc. Im not saying you cant get a good install by the pro's, you can get a killer install. But it will cost up the ass.

If you dont have audio expierence, I suggest you get a friend who knows how and read up on how to do it. I dont do my cars that often so I read up on amp wiring, ohm load, speaker load because I forget.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have had two cars in the past besides this one. I did both the audio installions in both of them and im glad i did, but since this is a new car, i am not gonna F%$K anything up so if something does, i have someone else to blame it on besides myself or some of the retards that just happen to help me out in the installation. Im having JFI Audio close to where i live do it and they only charge 60/hour. Pretty cheap compared to anywhere else.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have done so many systems of my own or friends' that it is second nature. I usually build my own box but I am getting lazy with age and found the exact box I was going to build for about the same price as it would have cost me to make it. My full install should be in by next weekend. LOC, Fosgate Amp, (2) JBL 12" subs and box.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know how to install also, but am confused on integrating amps with the bose system. Is everything done under the passenger seat as far as line level, speaker connections?..Or do I do it behind the HU?...An exact walkthrough from someone would be very helpful for all of us with the bose system...Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.