Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Street racing (illegal) doesn't count. I'm talking about taking your car around a track. Even going around by yourself, or against one other person?

Ever since I rented a 2010 Fusion (SE) months ago, which then turned in to my craving of owning one, which then turned in to actually OWNING one, I've wanted to really push'er to the limit. But wanted to do it in a safe and legal way. Take it around a track.

There's one near by me (in Edmonton) which I'm going to call and see if I can. Have any of you ever done something like that? What's it like? And would you recommend it?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I've done a driver training session at Mosport International Raceway in Bowmanville, ON for the last three years in the Fusion. First was on the Driver Development track in '08 and the car only had 5,000km on it at the time so I wasn't willing to push too hard.

However in 2009 and 2010 the event was moved to the big track at Mosport and after some tweaks to the cars suspension (Steeda lowering springs) and engine (reflash for 91 octane and Steeda SRI) I've flung theh car around the track "With some gusto"

At the limits of the stock tires (noisy buggers they are) I can say that the car felt safe and controlled in its maneuvers, responding well to steering and braking inputs, though not the fastest thing out there by far. The latest session this year had the car hampered by 30C+ afternoon temps, really killed the cars mojo after the 160km/h mark in teh long back straight. In the mornings though I was passing 180km/h before having to drag it back down owing to the stock tires when coming into the last series of turns before the start/finish line.

NefCanuck

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds awesome! Right now 'Fluffy' is 100% stock. Not sure if I'll change the suspension at all (her primary goal is a family sedan with a little kick).

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
I've autocrosses mine a few times, and probably will several times next year. It's loads of fun! I have Tein S-Tech lowering springs, Koni Yellow shocks, and Eagle GT tires.. it handles great! All it needs is a rear sway bar. If you plan on tracking your car and you want to keep it fairly stock, I would put in a rear sway bar.. I have heard that is the best bang for the buck suspension wise. I have also really wanted to take it to a real track, not just autocross. But I'm saving that for when I get a Racing Beat rear sway and performance brakes.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
[quote author=acedeuce802 link=topic=180192.msg3811437#msg3811437 date=1285761914]
But I'm saving that for when I get a Racing Beat rear sway and performance brakes.
[/quote]

Is that a rear sway bar for a Mazda? They fit our fusions?

Im currently putting a list together of needed mods :wink:

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Yeah it's for a Mazda6, but it fits. It is a solid 27mm, then there is progress for Mazda6 which is solid 24mm, and the Steeda one which is a hollow 22.5. With the racing beat bar, you will definitely need the Steeda endlinks.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
If i went with a 24mm, would i want to swap out end links too? When doing my springs i noticed that the end links on the sport were pretty solid.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Troy (Talisman) has been running the progress bar (24mm) with stock endlinks for as long as he has had the bar, and he has been fine so far. But idk how long that is, and how hard he pushes his car. If you plan on tracking your car it would probably be advised to get new end links, however you could probably last without them as long as you don't push it too hard. Don't buy the bar if you don't have money for endlinks or something, because it is likely you will snap them eventually.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
My current car, no, my old Saturn yes. I used to do SCCA Solo II racing, IE autocross racing in the central PA region when I was in college. I keep wanting to get back in to it, at least occasionally, but frankly I don't have time with the kids and all. The closest regular events are held way out in Frederick (about 45 minutes from me) or down in DC (also around 45 minutes to FedEx field). Between the drive, length of the events, etc it would kill a full day.
-Matt

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I push my car pretty hard JMO. Better safe than sorry :lol: I might as well upgrade the end links while im there. Just added them to the list.. :wink:

This winter will be full of shopping and preparing for the spring (nice weather). I have a list going of things to order. Just havent decided on specific brands for everything yet.

Rear sway bar
End links
Front sway bar (maybe)
Front strut brace
Xbar brace (Steeda)
H-brace
LED swap

Any ideas for what to do under the hood while i patiently wait for a CAI to be released for the 3.5L?
I wont be addressing the exhaust just yet.. :lol:

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
That sounds like a good plan. I'm also contemplating the front bar.. but idk about that 4 hour install and dropping the subframe to do it. But I'm thinking giant racing beat rear bar, and subtle steeda front bar maybe.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Im still unsure about the front bar since i want the car to be more ass happy.. :lol: I think the strut bar up front will be enough to equalize the stiffness in the rear.
I have added the H brace to my list :wink:

·
Super Moderator
8,777 Posts
The steeda bar / endlinks / strut brace is a major improvement. Kinda off topic but if you guys are going to do a RSB try to get the greaseable bushing mounts like CD3 sells/sold. Otherwise you are going to have to remove the bar about once a year to re grease the bushings which is a PITA. It's making me want to take the bar off and put the stock one on. I recommend the endlinks no matter which bar you are getting. It's piece of mind and while it's $100..it's still only $100 not to have to worry about them breaking.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=Ckenaan link=topic=180192.msg3811627#msg3811627 date=1285769888]
I push my car pretty hard JMO. Better safe than sorry :lol: I might as well upgrade the end links while im there. Just added them to the list.. :wink:

This winter will be full of shopping and preparing for the spring (nice weather). I have a list going of things to order. Just havent decided on specific brands for everything yet.

Rear sway bar
End links
Front sway bar (maybe)
Front strut brace
Xbar brace (Steeda)
H-brace
LED swap

Any ideas for what to do under the hood while i patiently wait for a CAI to be released for the 3.5L?
I wont be addressing the exhaust just yet.. :lol:
[/quote]

If you're ever wanting to autocross, mod carefully. No sense needlessly bumping yourself up in car classification just so you can run against cars that would mop the track with you on a bad day.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Its still not a bad idea to go out there and look at the SCCA rules for the different classifications.

I haven't looked at them since I moved from my Saturn to the 3i, but my guess is we can compete in street touring catagory and probably what you want to shoot for. Generally what is allowed in ST is modifications to anything before the intake manifold and after the exhaust ports (IE header, manifold, etc) for power adders. I believe you can tune fuel maps as well, but you'd want to double check that to be sure. You can modify motor mounts. Chasis stiffening bars I believe are allowed without any real limit (no cages I don't think), though it may just be front and rear strut bars are allowed. Sway bars can be modified and shocks/struts can be changed out, but suspension geometry cannot be changed.

I believe the limit on tire width is 225, though it might be a little higher.

I'd look in to all of this, but this should give you some ideas of things you likely can do to your car and not be bumped in to one of the ridiculous car classes.

Read the rules though.
-Matt

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
[quote author=fatabbot link=topic=180192.msg3811944#msg3811944 date=1285779786]
If you're ever wanting to autocross, mod carefully. No sense needlessly bumping yourself up in car classification just so you can run against cars that would mop the track with you on a bad day.
[/quote]
I never really gave auto-x a thought.. I just drive enthusiastically. On a daily basis. :wink:

I appreciate the heads up though!

[quote author=acedeuce802 link=topic=180192.msg3811962#msg3811962 date=1285780452]
Very true! Usually I don't pay attention to my class, I'm not very competitive with it, but I just compare my times to all my friends that I go with!
[/quote]

Where do you autox and how often? I know belle isle has an area for it.. just wondering if there are any others..?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts