Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a P0442 small EVAP leak for about 6 months. Took it to several shops after it failed inspection and they ran smoke test showing no leaks. So they relaced the purge valve. Still getting the same light months later. Any ideas what the issue could be? i don't see any difference in performance.

· Registered
610 Posts
A common area for a leak, at least on non Skyactiv, is the seal for the fuel pump on top of the fuel tank. Again I don't know about Skyactiv models for this but on the earlier generation you had to drop the fuel tank to get to the seal. If Skyactiv is the same it would be easy for a shop to miss this. Also, a leaking gas cap is another source of evaporation leaks and cheap and easy to replace.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A common area for a leak, at least on non Skyactiv, is the seal for the fuel pump on top of the fuel tank. Again I don't know about Skyactiv models for this but on the earlier generation you had to drop the fuel tank to get to the seal. If Skyactiv is the same it would be easy for a shop to miss this. Also, a leaking gas cap is another source of evaporation leaks and cheap and easy to replace.
The mechanic I brought it too told me that he checked for leakage around the fuel pump seal and the gas cap when he did the smoke test. He told me that there is another valve in the Evap system that could be the issue after he replaced the purge valve. I'm considering purchasing a smoke tester to check the seals for myself. FWIW when I start up the car, I can sometimes smell fumes in the cabin.

· Registered
610 Posts
The mechanic I brought it too told me that he checked for leakage around the fuel pump seal and the gas cap when he did the smoke test. He told me that there is another valve in the Evap system that could be the issue after he replaced the purge valve. I'm considering purchasing a smoke tester to check the seals for myself. FWIW when I start up the car, I can sometimes smell fumes in the cabin.
He wouldn't be the first mechanic to BS a customer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts