Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In one of the reviews I read it said that the european version of the car had an "additional" underspoiler for added stability for highspeed driving. I know there are a few differences such as the rear spoiler that we in NA get opposed to the for Traditional 3 Sport spoiler they get there.

Anyone have any info on this?

Possibly a good aftermarket part to supply to the NA market. Being winter I haven't got a good look underneath my car yet. Only of the great pictures someone had posted somewhere on this forum. Cant seem to find them now...

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
ive taken pics of the under side of the speed and cant find many differences other than the increased bracing around the tunnel.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Are we all talking about the same "underspoiler"?

Bracing and underspoilers are two different pieces and bracing does not directly affect high-speed aerodynamics the way a spoiler does.

Now, to come correct, I'm not even sure I'm thinking of the right underspoiler that's different from European version, but the first part that came to mind was the underbody spoiler located up front, not toward the rear.

Again, I may be wrong. We need to find out which underbody spoiler is different...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
It's obvious that there 2 deffinant parts...

Added stability @ higher speeds..

was the point I was trying to get @

now Aerodynamics...

A spoiler would deffinatly be better

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
i believe the underspoiler is the little plastic flap infront of the front tire (the first picture in my previous post)

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
The hatch spoiler is different on the european version, I believe it is the same as a regular hatch spoiler.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[quote author=Maverick9110E link=topic=65597.msg1124707#msg1124707 date=1167409918]
i think u guys are talking about an underbody air diffuser...

[/quote]

I believe you may be right, although I'm not sure.

Thanks for the pics as well Oricle.

·
Registered
639 Posts
[quote author=island warrior link=topic=65597.msg1124671#msg1124671 date=1167408139]
It's obvious that there 2 deffinant parts...

Added stability @ higher speeds..

was the point I was trying to get @

now Aerodynamics...

A spoiler would deffinatly be better
[/quote]

:huh:

Aerodynamics play a larger role in high-speed stability than chassis strength does...they're two different and separate things.

IOW, I will not have more stability driving in a straight-line at 155 mph by putting a GT Spec underbody brace. It won't make a difference.

·
Registered
639 Posts
[quote author=island warrior link=topic=65597.msg1126086#msg1126086 date=1167499894]
So I take it you drive in straight-line @ 155 mph alot then... :eh:
[/quote]

:dunno:

Where did I say that?

Your previous post sounded as though you were separating the issue of [high-speed] stability and aerodynamics--did i read that incorrectly?

They're one in the same at that. A GT underbrace will further chassis strengthening, and is not meant to aid in cutting through air at most efficient levels. Simple as that.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
"The European version of the mazdaspeed3 includes a smaller rear wing for reduced drag and an extra undertray for greater high-speed stability"

Quoted from Sport Compact Car mag.

·
Registered
266 Posts
[quote author=brecker link=topic=65597.msg1127075#msg1127075 date=1167583192]
"The European version of the mazdaspeed3 includes a smaller rear wing for reduced drag and an extra undertray for greater high-speed stability"

[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a smaller wing with less drag decrease downforce? That would definitely decrease high-speed stability. Unless the wing is totally ornamental and doesn't produce any downforce at all...

·
Registered
639 Posts
[quote author=seoultrain link=topic=65597.msg1128902#msg1128902 date=1167726290]
[quote author=brecker link=topic=65597.msg1127075#msg1127075 date=1167583192]

[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a smaller wing with less drag decrease downforce? That would definitely decrease high-speed stability. Unless the wing is totally ornamental and doesn't produce any downforce at all...
[/quote]

I don't know...

but perhaps it's not so much the size, but design of the wing that makes a difference :dunno: And maybe SCC was relaying info and didn't get into explanation.

Not stating any facts, just throwing out ideas.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
if these things were really created to make downforce there would be a whole lot more engineering on the companys part then what looks somewhat good and work somewhat ok. Form follows function afterall. cause we all know that This wasnt just for looks:

even though it is one of the mostly godly cars ever built hehe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts