Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it's legal to drive US cars with European style license plates (given that you'll be placing your registration info and state of origin on the place)? My brother-in-law had a Mercedes and actually had a euro-style place, but didn't use it... I personally prefer the wider europlate to the boxy US-spec plates...

·
Registered
744 Posts
If your state does not require by law that you have to have a front license plate then you can have one up front, but I highly doubt that it is legal to have a rear license plate that is not given to you by the state. Even specialty license plates for colleges are given to you by the state, you just have to get a signed letter from them saying you can get their plate.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I've seen some Euro/J-spec plates on SHOW CARS at SHOWS. Never driving on the road. So, I suppose, like neons you could have them for: "off road purposes only"

I know the cops here are pretty picky about that stuff. We are required to have a proper front and rear plate displayed.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
You can use any Euro front plate if your prov/state doesn't have one for the front.

I was thinking of adding a Euro plate below my Ontario one, but two plates might mean I just served myself with 2 helpings of rice :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Does anyone know if it's legal to drive US cars with European style license plates
yeah if you buy a car here and move to europe :wink:

since you can only do it on the front, it will look pretty dumb having mismatched plates. I like the euro plates too. the wide narrow plate enhances the look of the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts