Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

So I recently purchased an EONON GM5151 headunit and after playing around with it for the last couple days I can say that this headunit is definitely a great buy especially for the price. The install was as easy as it can get although getting everything to fit was kind of a hassle. I ended up just taking the white clips off the bottom of the OEM hu and switching it with the black plastic ones on the Eonon. BE CAREFUL THEY ARE PLASTIC AND WILL BREAK. I will post pictures of the install once I get them uploaded. After the install and I got everything tucked away nice and clean I began to tinker with it a little bit.

UI:
The UI looks beautiful a nice vibrant analog clock smack dab in the center and you have a row of 4 icons that you can move around. The screen is very responsive and works just as well as my Galaxy. The options load up quickly and there is hardly any lag. The only downfall is that the HU takes about 45 seconds to a minute to boot up. You have an array of background options to choose from and you can upload your own onto a SD card (800x480 png). The HU automatically dims when the headlights are turned on and the parking break is release and you can modify the brightness, contrast and softness of the HU. There are two knobs on both bottom corners one for volume the other to skip the song or to change the radio station and 3 buttons on each side of the screen. The buttons and knobs are very solid and the unit seems to be well built.

GPS:
I did not purchase the maps from Eonon instead I am running iGO Primo 2.4 if you would like it feel free to PM and I would be more than happy to send it to you. It is no TomTom or Garmin but it comes pretty damn close. The POI are up to date and the gps works wonders. When coming up on an junction it will show what lanes go where and it will also tell you if there are lanes merging in. It has numerous alert types that you can set as visual and/or audio (meing traffic, school zone, windy roads etc...) I have turned on red light camera setting (we have a bunch in the Bay Area) but it seems like they don't have alot of them programmed in there. I have programmed the eonon to only play the music in the rear speakers when the GPS goes on and it works perfectly. IGO runs super smooth with the GM5151 and I have no complaints thus far.

Bluetooth:
I have a Galaxy s5 and mostly use spotify to stream my music. As soon as the HU boots up it will automatically connect to my phone. The audio streaming sounds just as good as if I were to plug it into the aux cable. All my contacts and call log are displayed on the HU which is a very nice touch. I hardly ever have to reach down and grab my phone. I mounted the external mic right next to the instrument cluster. The bluetooth call quality could be a little better but all I do is crank up the volume just a little bit. I have had many other bluetooth decks both Alpine and Kenwood's and this performs just as good if not better than them.

DVD:
DVD works perfect even though I don't think I would ever use it. I would rather listen to music than watch a movie but to each his own. For those that have little ones to entertain this is perfect. However the only optimal viewing angle is either the passenger seat or the rear middle seat other that you are SOL. In order to drive while playing a movie you need to turn off the parking boot setting and the brake setting.

Rear View Camera:
I purchased the a0119 camera with my HU and it hooks up perfectly. The install was a bit of a headache but I managed to make it work. (I will post pictures of the install later) I mounted the camera right above the license plate. The camera has a reversing grid but the numbers are in meters which really doesn't affect me. You get 3 warnings 1.5 m, 1 m. then .5 m It has a 170 degree view so backing into spots is a breeze.

Sound Quality:
This HU outperforms the stock headunit hands down. I have the bose audio system in my car coupled with an Alpine 8" sub with an Alpine amp and it sounds beautiful. The sound is very crisp and there is no crackling whatsoever. Without even turning on LOUD the system sounds amazing at 20-30. I haven't pushed it passed 40 but at that point my mirrors and my panels are shacking lol

Steering Wheel Control:
All the steering wheel controls worked out of the box there was not any extra harness I had to buy or I didn't have to tap any wires unlike other HU which was a huge selling point for me.

Screen Mirroring:

Dislikes:
I have two main complaints. One is the two hideous flaps for the SD card accessports they look misplaced on the HU and are unappealing to the eye. The other main complaint is that the HU periodically crashes if you move too fast through the system. It will stop working for about 5 minutes but after turning the car off and then back on or pressing the reset button on the top right. These are two minor problems to an amazing HU at an even better price.

Overall:
I really like this headunit and its a great buy for $400 compared to an Alpine nav unit for $650+. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HU! I love the OEM look of it and I have already had many compliments on how beautiful it looks in the dash. The install was a breeze and it was a simple plug and play HU. Eonon shipped my HU within a business day and I had it on my front door within a week. Coming from all the way across the world I was throughly impressed on how fast it got to me. Eonon also answered all my questions in a timely manner and made sure that I got everything settled out. Overall I give this a headunit:

9/10 Aesthetics
8/10 UI
10/10 Customer Service

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love it! Unfortunately I got into an accident an my lovely Speed3 was a total loss. But for the 4 months that I owned the HU it worked perfectly. There were a little issues with the HU crashing every now and then but other then that it was a blast to have. Easy install, OEM look and steering wheel controls for under $400 can't beat it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just saw your forsale ad for this. Have a few questions for you.

What year was your speed?
How does the screen mirroring work?
Need an adapter or your sync cable?
Where you able to mirror everything from your phone to the hu?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys

So I recently purchased an EONON GM5151 headunit and after playing around with it for the last couple days I can say that this headunit is definitely a great buy especially for the price. The install was as easy as it can get although getting everything to fit was kind of a hassle. I ended up just taking the white clips off the bottom of the OEM hu and switching it with the black plastic ones on the Eonon. BE CAREFUL THEY ARE PLASTIC AND WILL BREAK. I will post pictures of the install once I get them uploaded. After the install and I got everything tucked away nice and clean I began to tinker with it a little bit.

UI:
The UI looks beautiful a nice vibrant analog clock smack dab in the center and you have a row of 4 icons that you can move around. The screen is very responsive and works just as well as my Galaxy. The options load up quickly and there is hardly any lag. The only downfall is that the HU takes about 45 seconds to a minute to boot up. You have an array of background options to choose from and you can upload your own onto a SD card (800x480 png). The HU automatically dims when the headlights are turned on and the parking break is release and you can modify the brightness, contrast and softness of the HU. There are two knobs on both bottom corners one for volume the other to skip the song or to change the radio station and 3 buttons on each side of the screen. The buttons and knobs are very solid and the unit seems to be well built.

GPS:
I did not purchase the maps from Eonon instead I am running iGO Primo 2.4 if you would like it feel free to PM and I would be more than happy to send it to you. It is no TomTom or Garmin but it comes pretty damn close. The POI are up to date and the gps works wonders. When coming up on an junction it will show what lanes go where and it will also tell you if there are lanes merging in. It has numerous alert types that you can set as visual and/or audio (meing traffic, school zone, windy roads etc...) I have turned on red light camera setting (we have a bunch in the Bay Area) but it seems like they don't have alot of them programmed in there. I have programmed the eonon to only play the music in the rear speakers when the GPS goes on and it works perfectly. IGO runs super smooth with the GM5151 and I have no complaints thus far.

Bluetooth:
I have a Galaxy s5 and mostly use spotify to stream my music. As soon as the HU boots up it will automatically connect to my phone. The audio streaming sounds just as good as if I were to plug it into the aux cable. All my contacts and call log are displayed on the HU which is a very nice touch. I hardly ever have to reach down and grab my phone. I mounted the external mic right next to the instrument cluster. The bluetooth call quality could be a little better but all I do is crank up the volume just a little bit. I have had many other bluetooth decks both Alpine and Kenwood's and this performs just as good if not better than them.

DVD:
DVD works perfect even though I don't think I would ever use it. I would rather listen to music than watch a movie but to each his own. For those that have little ones to entertain this is perfect. However the only optimal viewing angle is either the passenger seat or the rear middle seat other that you are SOL. In order to drive while playing a movie you need to turn off the parking boot setting and the brake setting.

Rear View Camera:
I purchased the a0119 camera with my HU and it hooks up perfectly. The install was a bit of a headache but I managed to make it work. (I will post pictures of the install later) I mounted the camera right above the license plate. The camera has a reversing grid but the numbers are in meters which really doesn't affect me. You get 3 warnings 1.5 m, 1 m. then .5 m It has a 170 degree view so backing into spots is a breeze.

Sound Quality:
This HU outperforms the stock headunit hands down. I have the bose audio system in my car coupled with an Alpine 8" sub with an Alpine amp and it sounds beautiful. The sound is very crisp and there is no crackling whatsoever. Without even turning on LOUD the system sounds amazing at 20-30. I haven't pushed it passed 40 but at that point my mirrors and my panels are shacking lol

Steering Wheel Control:
All the steering wheel controls worked out of the box there was not any extra harness I had to buy or I didn't have to tap any wires unlike other HU which was a huge selling point for me.

Screen Mirroring:

Dislikes:
I have two main complaints. One is the two hideous flaps for the SD card accessports they look misplaced on the HU and are unappealing to the eye. The other main complaint is that the HU periodically crashes if you move too fast through the system. It will stop working for about 5 minutes but after turning the car off and then back on or pressing the reset button on the top right. These are two minor problems to an amazing HU at an even better price.

Overall:
I really like this headunit and its a great buy for $400 compared to an Alpine nav unit for $650+. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HU! I love the OEM look of it and I have already had many compliments on how beautiful it looks in the dash. The install was a breeze and it was a simple plug and play HU. Eonon shipped my HU within a business day and I had it on my front door within a week. Coming from all the way across the world I was throughly impressed on how fast it got to me. Eonon also answered all my questions in a timely manner and made sure that I got everything settled out. Overall I give this a headunit:

9/10 Aesthetics
8/10 UI
10/10 Customer Service
Can you send me the gps you were running in the HU? Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts