Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
While the lack of documentation of this unit is more than somewhat off-putting, the styling is just fine. It fits very well into the car.

I am very interested in how it works long term for you.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I was thinking of picking this one up since I can't find the DSS NAV-M3 anywhere. I've got a Garmin GPS so that doesn't bug me. Looks good. Did it come with Bluetooth?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Is your trip computer still working (looks like it is from the picture)?
Do steering wheel controls work?
Video quality?
Touch screen quality (response time)?
Tried out any other features yet?
Suppose you didn't get the GPS option, or else I'd ask about that also.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Oooh, and how did you mount the LCD? Are there brackets on the Eonon? And...where'd you get it? :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
alfspunge, i have a question for you, i purchased this:

(http://cgi.ebay.com/mazda-3-new-2-din-7-CAR-DVD-player-TV-GPS-ipod_W0QQitemZ170299618255QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGPS_Maps_Software?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116)

not too long ago, and when I was trying to install it, i couldnt for the life of me fit it in there with all the freaking extra wires back there, so after literally two and a half hours of trying to get it in there every possible way, i gave up and put my stock unit back in, which i still have in, and my new unit is collecting dust on the floor in my room. Looks like we may have the same one? Who knows, there are so many of these. id like to try to install it again this weekend.

But how did you fit it in there? Am i missing something? I took the center console out and tried getting my hand up there form underneath to work the wires around, nothing, I cant believe I had so much trouble doing it. I hooked it all up, had the GPS box hooked up and working, even wired the camera through the side panels and had that working, 5 seconds from being done with it all, but just couldnt fit it in there :huh

thanks a lot!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Yep, looks like the same unit. Many people end up putting the Bluetooth/GPS box behind the ashtray and running as many wires as possible down that way as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
yea i had no problem with the gps box behind the ashtray. the bluetooth is built into the unit. the steering controls work fine, lcd works fine, just need to unscrew 2 screws form the stock HU lcd and put it on the new one. the touch screen works excellent, the display has a horrible resolution, but its not THAT bad, the nav sucks because the music stops when u go into it, mine has Windows CE on it for the OS, kind of a pain, not too user friendly, but all around i love it, just wish i could use it. even has solitaire and minesweeper and the basic windows games. not too shabby.

as for the wires and running them down, there is no way, the adapter is very short and there is just nowhere for it to go except behind the unit, such a pain!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Firstly MonkikiMazda3 yes it did come with bluetooth and yes it comes with the bracket to mount the lcd. Eonon . com

Secondly guy_incognito Is your trip computer still working (looks like it is from the picture)? it stays on what ever you had it on last as long as the car is on when when you unplug it.
Do steering wheel controls work?Yes they work pretty darn good
Video quality? the video quality is actually better than i thought it would be
Touch screen quality (response time)?its not the fastest out there but does do a pretty good job
Tried out any other features yet? ive tried out the bluetooth it works ok not as good as i hoped
Suppose you didn't get the GPS option, or else I'd ask about that also. no i did not get the gps with it because the sales perspn at eonon . com told me that it is not avalible yet.

Thirdly mcorey87 It Was a pain to get all the wires in i had to tuck all the longer wires off to the side then as i slid the radio in i had to keep my hand behind it to lift all the wires into the deepest part behind the radio it took me literally about 3 hours to get it perfect Just patience , a scratched up hand and alot of cursing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
sweet, did u remove the upper piece of plastic, the one with the a/c vents on it, and work with your hand moving the wires to the side from above or did you take another route?

·
Registered
268 Posts
[quote author=MonkikiMazda3 link=topic=138021.msg2976621#msg2976621 date=1236219629]
I was thinking of picking this one up since I can't find the DSS NAV-M3 anywhere. I've got a Garmin GPS so that doesn't bug me. Looks good. Did it come with Bluetooth?
[/quote]

Another thread is talking about the DSS Nav-M3 http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=129310.120
dabears2k is getting one shipped

·
Registered
930 Posts
I just ordered the Eonon. Going to look for a camera or two and try to locate the GPS box. Is the front USB port the only one? I have an iPod connected to my current Alpine and know that the Eonon won't work with it but trying to figure out if I can hid a flash drive for the Eonon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
[quote author=alfspunge link=topic=138021.msg2979104#msg2979104 date=1236314475]
yes i did remove the upper piece
[/quote]

thanks man, ill give it a shot today

·
Registered
930 Posts
Got mine in. Still need to find a camera that'll fit. The one I bought was too big and I don't want to cut the trunk lid to fit it. I've got a little review on my
CarDomain page. I'm going to update it with better pics and some more info later tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
If it included the GPS module it'd probably be worth it. I emailed one of the sellers on eBay about the GPS unit for the Eonon and they responded stating the wait time to get them from Eonon was about 30 days so they didn't include them anymore. I tried getting the model number so we could try and find another source, but they wouldn't give it. :S

·
Registered
930 Posts
I went ahead and emailed Eonon about the GPS module and they no longer offer it. They didn't say why. I can only assume it might have something to do with the number of Youtube videos about failed Eonon GPS units. With the Caradvanced thread going good, I figured I'd go ahead and post pictures and info about the Eonon since there hasn't been too many updates on this thread rather than just start a new one. Its mostly cut and paste from my Cardomain review with some changes to make sense here. So here we go....

Installation was a pain in the rear till I figured out how to get it in properly. The harness that comes with it gets in the way and is a bit stiff. The key is to remove the upper peice of the dash with the vents and guide the harness into the 'pocket' on the right, behind the stereo. Also, be sure to screw the black rubber peice onto the back of the unit or it'll keep sliding down and the bottom edge will stick out. All in all, its a worthy upgrade. As you can see, I have my trip computer displaying the miles remaining. The Eonon does not change the trip computer. I set it before installing the Eonon.

I guess I should start with the build quality which is pretty good. The unit is maybe 1/4" shorter than the OEM deck in height and depth. There are two flaps above the CD/DVD slot, the left is spring loaded for the SD card and the one on the right is a false door. The knobs are black plastic with chrome rings on the front as you can see in the pictures. A rubberized plastic would be nicer but they look and feel just fine. The whole unit feels just as good as the OEM unit and the screen is uniform in brightness. The resolution is fairly low at 480x234 but doesn't look bad or out of place. If you've used a budget portable DVD player, thats how the screen is. Colors appear to be well represented, although I only tested it with one DVD (Lost in Translation) and a few pictures off of the SD card. The unit doesn't dim when turning on the headlights but can easily be dimmed through the interface by selecting the 'SOFT' from the preset picture settings. The button backlighting doesn't change in relation to the screen dimming but is the same brightness as the other dash backlighting with the headlights on.

The screen looks odd cause of the low angle of the shot.

The touchscreen response is good but it doesn't always register the presses on the smaller buttons. Its probably just because my fingers are a bigger than the onscreen buttons and the buttons are placed close together. Overall response of the unit is good but it does take a while to load the DVD/SD/USB interface...10-15 seconds at most maybe.

Next up, there is a clock but it only displays constantly when using the radio. Otherwise, if you press the DSP button the remote, it'll show the clock for a few seconds then go away for the other modes. The radio reception is better than my Alpine iDA-X100 from what I've tested. A nice little feature is that the radio will display the station name and current song under the station presets. The overall interface is functional but lacking. It can be confusing at first. The DVD playback and SD/USB modes work similarly regarding on screen controls but the display/audio setup screen varies from mode to mode.

Bluetooth works with my iPhone but the mic isn't that great. If you talk loud though, you probably won't have much to worry about. The deck's overall sound quality is actually pretty good. I still haven't got it all adjusted but with default settings it sounds better than the Alpine did. :O The bluetooth and DVD volume are substantially lower than the SD/USB/radio volume so it needs to be turned down when going exiting from one of these sources. The DVD/USB/SD functions will playback MP3s, MP4/DivX video and display JPEG pictures. I tested the deck with 1GB and 2GB SD cards, a 2GB USB flash drive and a dual layer DVD with MP3s. It does not resume music playback at the same time in the song or movie that it was when powered off though, but is easy enough to get close to where you were. JPEG rendering is a bit slow but thats probably because there's not much horsepower under its hood. Not sure on the specs but I'm guessing 200MHz-ish maybe. Even that should display JPEGs quickly enough...then again I tested it with 2228x1712 or somewhere around that.

So, the interface could be improved. There is no customization for any of the interface layout or color. The Mazda logo screen that is shown in some screen shots online is built in and there doesn't seem to be a way to import custom boot pictures. Having a permanent clock displayed would be HUGELY appreciated and consistent volume would probably leave this without much complaint from me.

Now for more pictures!

Main screen:

General setup screen:

Radio screen:

Bluetooth screen:

Advanced setup screen:

I still need to find a camera that'll fit the trunk key hole without cutting and get some more pics of the rest of the interface. I'll see if I can find a camera that takes video and post up a little walkthrough.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts