Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently noticed this Engine Tick when I am at idle. It seems strange, that when I start the engine up cold and let it run the tick isn't present. However, after the engine is warmed up the ticking can be heard.

I am not sure what this is, maybe a stuck Butterfly Valve or maybe the lifters getting stuck. But I am going to take it to a Mazda dealer this weekend. I just hope they don't dismiss it as normal ticking because the engine has never made this sound and the fact that it doesn't do it while cold makes me nervous.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
[quote author=sTour07 link=topic=66034.msg1132043#msg1132043 date=1167877377]
I have recently noticed this Engine Tick when I am at idle. It seems strange, that when I start the engine up cold and let it run the tick isn't present. However, after the engine is warmed up the ticking can be heard.

I am not sure what this is, maybe a stuck Butterfly Valve or maybe the lifters getting stuck. But I am going to take it to a Mazda dealer this weekend. I just hope they don't dismiss it as normal ticking because the engine has never made this sound and the fact that it doesn't do it while cold makes me nervous.
[/quote]

I'm fairly sure they will dismiss it. Although, I've never had a 4 cylinder car that didn't "tick" while idling warm or otherwise. I guess it just depends on how loud your tick is.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I had this exact same problem, in my case it was because we have shitty 85 octane for standard grade here and once I started using 87(our midgrade) it went away for good. But it seems lots of other people are having this problem and its not related to fuel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am running 89 octane currently. I don't understand this ticking. It is kind of loud tick in my opinion and you can feel them on the valve cover. I am fairly certain that it is a stuck butterfly valve but I don't know what tube to disconnect to check it. Could someone post a picture of what tube and location it is in and what it means if it stops ticking or doesn't?

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Does anyone know where on the intake manifold this tick is. I talked to superjudge and he said after having his intake manifold replaced his mileage went up.

I started pricing new intake manifolds and the replacement one for our car is 450 dollars.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
I get it all the time and its very noticeable. It hasn't affected driving in anyway, at least not that I can tell. The only weird issues I have is that my idle is rough after the engine has been run for like an hour, but that's probably cause of my PCV.

Regardless, if this fix will improve efficiency or power, then I definitely want to do it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the same problem, and just got my car back from the dealership yesterday. They insist nothing is wrong, except they told me that they had to add two quarts of oil because it was low on the stick (i checked it 3 days earlier and it was fine) They said they added the oil and the tick went away. Funny, cause I drove home from the dealership and tick-tick-tick, my fiance could hear it from 30 feet away. I've just recently noticed the problem which was brought to my attention by my dad. I took it to the dealership because I have 46,000 miles on it, and if it's a problem I want it fixed before the warranty runs out at 50. I think they don't want to deal with it, and would rather treat me like an idiot. I'm done with Mazda after this car, unfortunately, i love the car, but it's because of the poor customer service!

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
isn't it just the butterfly valves? Ever mazda 3 or newer mazda has had the ticking. Test drove a cx-7 and it ticked.

I know mine ticks, haven't had any problems, and it goes away too when i accelerate. 1: cause the ticking gets faster and hard to notice 2: the exhaust is to loud...lol.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had a Toyota 4Runner that developed a loud ticking noise. It was the fuel pressure relief valve.(routes fuel back to the tank at idle) It was working properly, just loud.

Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you can put your head directly over the engine and confirm that the ticking is indeed coming from the engine itself, it's also possible it's a lift adjustor. I just got my 3, so I don't know if Mazda uses hydraulic or manual lift adjustors. If these are off by a little, it can cause a tapping that's most noticeable at idle and less noticeable as the revs build (because the tapping speeds up while the engine noise increases).

I previously owned a high mileage Subaru Impreza that had this problem. I replaced the lifter only to see the tapping come back. In the end it turned out to be simple build up in the engine. I ran a treatment of AutoRX, and it eliminated all my problems.

Again, I don't know if oil additives like AutoRX or Rislone are acceptable for use in these engines, but if they are, it's a very cheap fix. IF it is indeed a sticky valve you've got.

Just my two cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Mine did not start ticking until after the first oil change. The only reason I noticed was because Eurotuner mentioned that his engine was ticking and we compared our two cars side by side. Sure enough, his engine had a slight tick to it and mine was silent because (I'm assuming) my car had yet to have it's first oil change. I thought it was odd that our cars were purchased only months apart and his had a tick and mine did not.

After my first oil change however, I noticed that I had the same tick that Euro had. Both our cars were serviced by our local dealer and when Euro asked the dealer about the ticking, they stated that it was normal.

This could all be coincidence of course, and the tick does not seem to affect performance as the engine appears to be performing as it should.

my .02

J

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
And sometimes it all depends on the service tech assigned to you. I am not sure how other dealerships do it, but my car is assigned to a certain tech, he was really helpful all the time when my car was under warranty.

He even replace my broken motor mounts which broke because i blew the clutch.

So keep checking other dealerships

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just took mine in Wednesday for this ticking. Thought it might be the valves and the dealer told me they are a bit noisy, however, they read a tech bulletin that told them about the loose part in the INTAKE MANIFOLD. I was hesitant to believe them but they hooked it up to the computer and turned the valve inside off and sure enough, no more ticking.
My new manifold is on order and they assure me that it's OK to drive until the part's received.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts