Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the title says it all. how hard is it to do?

does it goes out from the top or bottom?

can the tranny be left there? and remove just the engine

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
....and hoses and peripherals.

It's removed from the top and you need an engine hoist. Several local guys replaced a MS3 engine last month.

Are you replacing the engine in your car?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Mazda just replaced my motor due to a hydro lock and they took it out from under. Tranny was not removed. Not sure if that was a factor of it. They charged insurance for 14.5hrs which seems like way to long for a dealer to be doing the work since they know the car. I'm guessing it actually only took them like 7ish.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
planing to do a N/A build

12.5:1 or 11.6:1 for a 235hp? red line to 8000 rpm, planning to use the ranger crankshaft.

·
Registered
860 Posts
ranger crankshaft or camshaft? Will the ranger crankshaft work without modifications? If you meant cams.... dont forget about VVT. Our car has it and I don't think that the Ranger does.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ranger crank sorry

as for the cams i will use ford focus 2.3 duratec cams and remove the vvt, cosworth manifold

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
I've always gone from the bottom when pulling a motor in a 3. Worked the best for me. I'm also strange and pull the tranny out with the motor, makes it easier to line back up with the motor in my opinion when its out of the car.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i don't have access to a lift so i can remove the engine from the bottom

however i have access the a engine hoist so i can removeit from the top

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
its very easy to remove the engine

ive done it taking it out from the top several times(3 times on my car, and 8 times on my friends).

just take out the battery and box, air filter box etc.
disconnect the harness, hoses, header, attach the hoist, undo then the motor/trans. mounts
and pull it out.

i think its easier to take it out with the trans, and reinstall it with the trans on it.
makes it easier to install the trans, auto/manual.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok thank you

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
[quote author=TheBlackBox link=topic=134136.msg2889755#msg2889755 date=1232927252]
i forgot the cv joints
need to take those off
before pulling them motor out
[/quote]

Not true, lol. I left them in the tranny 2 of the times I dropped a motor, just disconnected the control arm and popped them out of the hub.

Last time was straight up ghetto. Used landscaping bricks and a jack to lower the motor and tranny. But it worked.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
when we did mine we took out the axles and lifted the engine/tranny out of the top in one piece. same for putting it back in. done it twice that way and its not too bad, but it is helpful to have someone on either side since (when putting the assembled motor/tranny back in the car) you have to tilt the motor to get it to fit and watch out for the tranny snagging on things.

one person can do it, its just a pita walking around the car a hundred times to make sure everythings going in right. plus sometimes we had to casually lean on one end to get it in :lol:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
my record is 2 hours out through the top, undo the header/ mani and leave it in the car leave the harness with the engine, remove right side axle only, leave rad hoses attached to car, attach a load leveler,

Lower engine enough to raise about 20 degrees up on engine side and seesaw it out.

:shock:

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
[quote author=*txmica3* link=topic=134136.msg2890289#msg2890289 date=1232944254]
when we did mine we took out the axles and lifted the engine/tranny out of the top in one piece. same for putting it back in. done it twice that way and its not too bad, but it is helpful to have someone on either side since (when putting the assembled motor/tranny back in the car) you have to tilt the motor to get it to fit and watch out for the tranny snagging on things.

one person can do it, its just a pita walking around the car a hundred times to make sure everythings going in right. plus sometimes we had to casually lean on one end to get it in :lol:
[/quote]this is so very true!!!!!

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
[quote author=smokinAMD link=topic=134136.msg2890230#msg2890230 date=1232942883]
[quote author=TheBlackBox link=topic=134136.msg2889755#msg2889755 date=1232927252]
i forgot the cv joints
need to take those off
before pulling them motor out
[/quote]

Not true, lol. I left them in the tranny 2 of the times I dropped a motor, just disconnected the control arm and popped them out of the hub.

Last time was straight up ghetto. Used landscaping bricks and a jack to lower the motor and tranny. But it worked.
[/quote]if your gonna drop the motor then you dont need to but to take it out through the top the cv joints have to come off, or just the passenger. driver side cvjoint could be left on since the motor(when pulled out) will be up and the trans will go down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts