Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so im going down the road at about 40mph, 3rd gear and I hear a loud pop and a huge hissing sound. Now from what the guy at the Mazda dealership in Maryland told me from what he saw (a pulley and part of the shaft still connected to the pulley laying on the engine shield) it looked like my A/C compressor pulley. Now my question is does anyone else run into this, heard of this or seen it? If so let me know.
I just now hope it is covered under warranty, its within factory warranty period, i just hope they dont try to say its something i did. Any help would be great.

Its an 06 Mazda 3, with exactly 28450 miles.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
wow man, that blows... they better fix that

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got a call from the dealership...
So i guess the air compressor seized and blew the pulley out of the side, which caused my engine to just stop. According to them it is completely covered under warranty thank god. Now does anyone know if i should just buy a new car now incase of any future problems this may of caused?

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
nah, it shouldn't be that big of a deal...but if it happens 2 more times, lemon law that biatch.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Most car lines end up with a few siezed accesories. It is usually more common for an alternator to have this happen then an AC compressor. After that it would be power steering pump and then water pump in terms of likelihood of seizing. I know of at least a few cases in almost all car lines that have had this happen. It is pretty rare though. I would guess a 1 in 10,000 thing.

No your car should not have any problems. If memory serves the AC compressor is not on the water pump serpentine belt, so there would have been no interuption of engine cooling. Even if the AC compressor was on the same belt as the water pump, so long as the engine was stopped fairly soon after it occured there would be no worries (within a minute or so of light driving).
-Matt

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Damn! thats crazy.

G

·
Look at it this way..while most people are stuck with their original A/C units when their warranties expire, you got a brand new one and have a little more than 7000 miles to discover any further problems with it. You're sittin' pretty I'd say.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
ahh the "glass half full" approach.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts