Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
This doesn't necessarily mean the same is true for their North American versions of the 3. They could have different ECU chips in the NA cars vs the Australian models.

Still, interesting statement by Mazda and it leaves the door open to wonder about if there is a difference on NA models.

The posted 0-100kmh time adds more weight to the growing evidence that a 3S w/2.3L engine is more like an 8.0-8.5 car than the early numbers from Car & Driver claiming 7.4, which may have come using very aggressive launches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
Our standard fuel here is 91 Octane and either 95/98 for Premium in Australia.

what's the rating for your fuel in America?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
hahaha here in california, our standard is 87 then 89 then 91, u can find higher grade in places arond here but i woudlnt kno where
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
581 Posts
funkyfreshmonke said:
hahaha here in california, our standard is 87 then 89 then 91, u can find higher grade in places arond here but i woudlnt kno where
Hey funkyfreshmonke, don't forget, because California has one of the most anal...I mean...one of the strictest emission requirements, our gasoline is laced with all sorts of oxygenates and other additives to make the gas burn "cleaner."

Which basically means, our Californian gas suck. :x

I've heard that if you go around some of the few race tracks we have around the state (i.e. Infineon), it's possible to find nearby gas pumps dispensing 93 and 95 octane feul. Problem is, 91 octane is already over $2+ on average, 93 or 95 would be running your wallet dry.

Also, from my personal experience, I've switched to using some 89 octane in my car. The only difference I noticed is that my car revs easier, but doesn't exhibit any noticeable power gains. Maybe I'll try a tank of 91 when the prices go down a bit.

Here is a very helpful link I found about Octane, ratings, and gasoline grading history...
http://www.angelfire.com/ar/dw42/tech/octane.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Vormund's (from Australia?) post refers to the RON octane index, which is higher than (R+M)/2 index used in N/A (for the same fuel.)

This topic has been discussed here before (please check in the Powertrain section). Sorry, no N/A spec engines are not tuned for premium gas. There is no gain in hp, unlike Australia-spec engines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
Actually, premium fuel will make the car faster only if you tune the timing! Higher octane fuel prevent detonation so the timimg can be tunnned more aggressively.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
Titanium Dragon said:
funkyfreshmonke said:
hahaha here in california, our standard is 87 then 89 then 91, u can find higher grade in places arond here but i woudlnt kno where
Hey funkyfreshmonke, don't forget, because California has one of the most anal...I mean...one of the strictest emission requirements, our gasoline is laced with all sorts of oxygenates and other additives to make the gas burn "cleaner."

Which basically means, our Californian gas suck. :x

I've heard that if you go around some of the few race tracks we have around the state (i.e. Infineon), it's possible to find nearby gas pumps dispensing 93 and 95 octane feul. Problem is, 91 octane is already over $2+ on average, 93 or 95 would be running your wallet dry.

Also, from my personal experience, I've switched to using some 89 octane in my car. The only difference I noticed is that my car revs easier, but doesn't exhibit any noticeable power gains. Maybe I'll try a tank of 91 when the prices go down a bit.

Here is a very helpful link I found about Octane, ratings, and gasoline grading history...
http://www.angelfire.com/ar/dw42/tech/octane.htm

thanks!! for the info :)...yea i want to try 89 but DARN GAS PRICES its insane!! btw dragon, where do you fill up? shell? chevron?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
PhilGood said:
Actually, premium fuel will make the car faster only if you tune the timing! Higher octane fuel prevent detonation so the timimg can be tunnned more aggressively.
If I may...I second Philgood's theory. He is right on the money. Having studied Petrochemistry...Higher octane means higher flash point, means more resistance before igniting, means it needs higher pressure (and also appropriate voltage in spark) in detonation chamber, means engine won't knock because of premature ehhh..(insert joke here...;-) premature detonation.
Higher pressure means higher power...your engine has to be able to take it.

If you put super premium in these engines...improperly burnt gas and you will have reverse effect in eco-granola mumbo jumbo...
Bottom line for a Mazda 2.0 or 2.3 or 2 point whatever...NA spec or Euro spec. It ain't worth it, no difference whatsoever.

--Oh and BTW...Having worked for a Petrol Reffiner in Canada, Higher octane is not necessarily cleaner, there are as many additives. The worst problem afflicting gas at the pumps is the quality of the installations...20 year old tanks mean Sulfur, metal hydrade and rust buildup, especially if they let them run out often.
Best bet is to go to a Big name gas chain with their newer locations. AND BUY REGULAR...unless you drive a porsche or something...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
581 Posts
funkyfreshmonke said:
thanks!! for the info :)...yea i want to try 89 but DARN GAS PRICES its insane!! btw dragon, where do you fill up? shell? chevron?
I get my gas usually at a Shell. I don't like Chevron's Techron stuff they put into their gas. Another brand I buy is Valero, but there are only a few of those around. Luckily, one of them is right by my work and is priced "fairly" (usually 3%-5% cheaper) against the other big brand names.

There is one Shell station (located in Walnut Creek) that seems to have 5%-10% cheaper prices than other Shell stations around my area. It's located in Walnut Creek and in fact, I filled up with Shell 91 just for sh*t & giggles (plus, the gas was only at an amazing $2.01/gallon). My engine revs very smooth on 91 but there was no noticeable power gain.

I believe that Canmaz3sport and PhilGood are right. If the engine had it's feul/air map ratio, timing advance to ignition spark, blah blah blah, tuned for 91 octane then we'd see similar hp and torque ratings like that of the Japanese Axela. I think their 2.3 engine is rated 170hp and 158 ft-lbs. running on whatever 91 premium that the Japanese use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
sweet...so running 91 wont actually decrease our performance judging form ure experience as of now...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
the car has been tested and rated in australia with and without 98 RON fuel.

the car WILL run better and more efficiently with higher grade premium fuel. less 'pinging' of the engine is important for more power.

because the 2.3 ecu has been modified to fit the emissions regulations in aus. they state a 5-7kw gain using 98 RON (dont quote me exactly) and about 80kms more out of a tank.

IMO if you have access to it why not use it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
the car WILL run better and more efficiently with higher grade premium fuel. less 'pinging' of the engine is important for more power.

because the 2.3 ecu has been modified to fit the emissions regulations in aus.
so you're saying that the austrailan spec 3s is tuned the same as the n/a version and therefore the n/a 3s should expect the same power increase when using higher octane gas?

The posted 0-100kmh time adds more weight to the growing evidence that a 3S w/2.3L engine is more like an 8.0-8.5 car than the early numbers from Car & Driver claiming 7.4, which may have come using very aggressive launches.
How disappointing. or... maybe that last 2.1371192 mph difference b/t 100kph and 60mph takes a whole 1+sec more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Not such a big diff.

$0.655CAD/L = $1.87USD/G
$0.789CAD/L = $2.25USD/G

You guys need to start attacking more middle eastern countries like us :D.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
So... N/A version tuned like Austrailian version (which performed better with premium gas) so N/A version will also enjoy increased performance with premium??
 
1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Top