·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
motor1? ams oil?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
[quote author=udontknowajck link=topic=66978.msg1150023#msg1150023 date=1168839085]
motor1? ams oil?
[/quote]
I can't say that I familiar with motor1.
I have been using Mobil 1 for well over 20 years with excellent results. Their 5W-30 oil would be a good choice.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
typo....Mobil 1

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I use mobil1 in my motorcycle, so i'll be using the same in my speed 3 :-D I use the 15k mile stuff and do 5k changes in my bike. probably will do 5k on the MS3 depending on what the oil looks / smells like at earlier intervals.

·
Registered
355 Posts
amsoil!! considered the best oil on the market, and depending where you live (temperatures) you may want 5w, or 10w...5w-30 is a solid choice though. I read on the net while researching for another car (1992 mr2 turbo, blown engine though :( ) that amsoil is number one, and royal purple is considered #3...i forget who is #2 though.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Ive heard too much about Amsoil being a scam or once you buy they dont leave you alone. If it were any good, you could get it at autozone and it would sell on its own, not because of suspect marketing tactics. Plus Amsoil dosent have anywhere near the research $$ that Pennzoil and Mobil have.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Well you know what they say about opinions right?? they're like @#$holes...everyone's got one! this thread could go on forever. when it comes to engine oil, the most important aspects are not usually the name on the bottle, but the grade of the oil (0w,5w,10w,etc) and whether its synthetic or mineral based.

·
Registered
184 Posts
[quote author=edrection link=topic=66978.msg1150264#msg1150264 date=1168867925]
pennzoil platinum is good stuff. cheaper than mobil 1
[/quote]

I've been hearing good things about Pennzoil Platinum, and it's turning out some good used oil analysis results (see the Bobistheoilguy site). I picked up some for my next oil change during Advance Auto's buy one get one free promotion. At that price, it's tough to beat.

Amsoil is a good oil, but it may be tricky to find in your area. Mobil1 is solid stuff, and you can find it almost anywhere. I also like German Castrol Syntec 0w-30; sold only at Autozone and not all stores carry it.

There are other good oils out there, and I wouldn't sweat the oil decision too much. I would recommend synthetic for the MS3 engine, but that's me...

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think it really depends on how often you plan to change the oil. Synthetic is better in general, but where it shines is in long intervals, which won't be the case until the warranty expires. So...for the 5,000-7500 interval it may be a lot less significant. I, for one, plan to use Penn Plat in the winter every 5,000 and switch to German Castrol for summer use, which while a 30 weight gives hot temperature protection more like a 40 weight....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts