Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have some questions about the noise of my engine (2006 Mazda 3 hatchback). I have about 200 miles remaining on my warranty and I'm wondering if it's worth my time bringing it into a Mazda dealer before it expires.

First of all, I hear a somewhat loud rumbling/ticking sound (almost like a sped up recording of water dripping onto a large sheet of metal) when I accelerate my car slowly (it instantly stops when I accelerate faster). It occurs roughly between 1.6K and 1.9K RPMs but only when I have my foot on the gas. I hear the sound over top of the regular noise my engine makes. It is loudest when the engine is cold and particularly annoying on cold winter mornings. It doesn't seem to be linked in any way to my transmission. I mostly hear it when I'm in 1st (or maybe 2nd) gear when I'm accelerating slowly from traffic lights , however, it has occurred in higher gears as well. For example, in 5th gear when going uphill on an on ramp when switching highways. I've already tried getting my Mazda dealer to look into this but they claimed they didn't hear anything. They said I would have to leave my car overnight for them to check it out when it's cold.

Secondly, I recently drove a 2.0l Mazda 3 sedan and was shocked at how quiet the engine sounded. Are the 2.0 engines that much quieter than the 2.3 engines? I could barely hear the engine when it was idling which is not the case for my engine. Is there anything I can do to make my engine quieter?

Thanks!

D.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
[quote author=diffident link=topic=136225.msg2934901#msg2934901 date=1234554366]
Hello, I have some questions about the noise of my engine (2006 Mazda 3 hatchback). I have about 200 miles remaining on my warranty and I'm wondering if it's worth my time bringing it into a Mazda dealer before it expires.

First of all, I hear a somewhat loud rumbling/ticking sound (almost like a sped up recording of water dripping onto a large sheet of metal) when I accelerate my car slowly (it instantly stops when I accelerate faster). It occurs roughly between 1.6K and 1.9K RPMs but only when I have my foot on the gas. I hear the sound over top of the regular noise my engine makes. It is loudest when the engine is cold and particularly annoying on cold winter mornings. It doesn't seem to be linked in any way to my transmission. I mostly hear it when I'm in 1st (or maybe 2nd) gear when I'm accelerating slowly from traffic lights , however, it has occurred in higher gears as well. For example, in 5th gear when going uphill on an on ramp when switching highways. I've already tried getting my Mazda dealer to look into this but they claimed they didn't hear anything. They said I would have to leave my car overnight for them to check it out when it's cold.

Secondly, I recently drove a 2.0l Mazda 3 sedan and was shocked at how quiet the engine sounded. Are the 2.0 engines that much quieter than the 2.3 engines? I could barely hear the engine when it was idling which is not the case for my engine. Is there anything I can do to make my engine quieter?

Thanks!

D.
[/quote]

Leave it over night at the dealership. If you can, go over there and point it out to them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=mattlisa link=topic=136225.msg2937131#msg2937131 date=1234649202]
does it sound like the car is pinging (running on low octane fuel)?
[/quote]

Yes, I am running on low octane fuel. What does pinging sound like? Does any one have a recording of a mazda 3 ping?

D.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just an update. The pinging I thought was predetonation simply turned out to be a chattering belt tensioner. The dealer replaced it. Still had the noise but worse. The final fix was a new belt. This is with only 35000 miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think I have a similar issue but I have a stock 2004 MT 2.5. Thinking of bringing the car the dealer but not sure how much they'll charge to fix it.

Did they charge to have the belt replaced?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts