Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im very worried. from the cabin it sounds like clicking.. almost in tune with the revs. i've only heard it after driving it for a period of time (mabye a little hard) then while idling i hear the tick tick tick tick tick like in tune with the revs.. ie, very fast. i get out, pin point the sound to the block.. towards the headers is my best guess, but from under the hood the sound isnt tick tick tick, its knock knock knock. so.. i check the oil. its loww.. :S bad sign. i top it up. it hasnt ticked or knocked for the last couple days but i havent been driving it much. any ideas? it sounds like its louder in the cabin than from under the hood! my girlfriend could even hear it hehh thats when u know its loud. the sound worries me, the car only has 6000km's on it. anyone?

·
Registered
276 Posts
most likely Not and exhaust leak.(on a new car, ...come on?)
(unless ofcourse you have an aftermarket header)

my first guess would be something in the valvetrain. and after reading futher that when you refilled the low oil the sound went away it confirmed my instinct.

Keep your eye on that oil. (be carefull reading the shitty dipstick)

and let us know if the sound comes back

·
Registered
133 Posts
I agree with Viper on this one...Exhaust leaks are not knocking sounds but a ticking sound usually like a spark plug firing and are sometimes best found at night by opening the hood and looking for little sparks coming out around the mating surface or just flashes of blue again kinda like if you were holding a spark plug in the dark and it was sparking. As Viper said...since it went away after you refilled the oil leads me to believe your oil was probably quite low and was causing your valve train to clatter. Isn't there something on here somewhere about the new oil Dipsticks being hard to read or the lines on the tip are not correct?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(dont have aftermarket headers)
yea the dipstick is very shitty. i got my oil changed today, first one. i gave the car a treat with synthetic but it cost just over 100$ lol car is running alot better. 6000km, my dealer told me not to get the first change until 8000 but the car def. needed some fresh oil,.. i worked it in hard. i'll keep u posted if the sound comes back..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just now i saw some oil.. fresh new oil on the floor of my garage. !! is it possible there is a leak>? or is this overflow ? where is the overflow for oil (is there is one) located under the car?

·
Registered
753 Posts
This one is a little tough to diagnose over the internet. Low oil level itself shouldn't cause any problems until it's so low that your oil pressure light comes on, and there shouldn't be any oil on your floor. I think you should take it into the dealer.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
If the ticking comes back, there is a good chance it is your intake manifold. I have the same ticking and it is DEFINITELY my intake manifold.

·
Registered
276 Posts
[quote author=Hexedit link=topic=70618.msg1237783#msg1237783 date=1172629495]
If the ticking comes back, there is a good chance it is your intake manifold. I have the same ticking and it is DEFINITELY my intake manifold.
[/quote]

a ticking intake manifold is typically Not intermittent. also, Hex, how do you know that you have the "Same" ticking noise as him? there are many many engine ticking noises and it takes an experienced mechanic to diagnose and decipher what is what. Simply saying, you have a tick and i have a tick, so we must have the same tick is ignorant.

Phil, $100 for an oil change , Holy Shit was that at the dealer? If so, what did the dealer mechanic say abut the tick. Your car is under warrenty, so your time would be much better spent letting them actually listen to your car, rather than listening to us speculate.

FYI: my local JiffyLube does synthetic for $50 (and yes, they keep our filter in stock)

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
[quote author=ViperDom link=topic=70618.msg1238599#msg1238599 date=1172675845]
[quote author=Hexedit link=topic=70618.msg1237783#msg1237783 date=1172629495]
[/quote]

a ticking intake manifold is typically Not intermittent. also, Hex, how do you know that you have the "Same" ticking noise as him? there are many many engine ticking noises and it takes an experienced mechanic to diagnose and decipher what is what. Simply saying, you have a tick and i have a tick, so we must have the same tick is ignorant.
[/quote]

The most likely cause is the intake manifold. Why is that? Because that's been the cause for just about everyone else's ticks on this board as well...at least as far as I have come across. I don't think I've ever read a thread about a bad valve train. Of course it is possible, but it is more than likely that stupid valve in the manifold.

He's describing the exact same tick I have. I know what it is on my car, and its most likely the same thing on his. I highly doubt his ticking is intermittent, rather he only hears it intermittently. the fact that his oil was low at the time is probably just a coincidence or he read the dipstick wrong.

·
Registered
276 Posts
i now understand, i didnt know much about our intakemanifolds.

again, taking his car to the dealer will save us the speculation, and him his worries

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
[quote author=ViperDom link=topic=70618.msg1238682#msg1238682 date=1172677991]
i now understand, i didnt know much about our intakemanifolds.

again, taking his car to the dealer will save us the speculation, and him his worries
[/quote]

No worries, and you are right taking it to the dealer will save us the speculation and probably get the ticking fixed as well.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Just to jump on the same topic of noise:

I get valve train chatter on AM startups...almost everyday now.
It goes away after the car warms up a bit.

Any ideas why?

·
Registered
508 Posts
just pull one of the vacuum tubes in front of the intake mani when the car is running, if the ticking stops, the mani is sticking. Happened to mine, they replaced my mani. There are two black rubber vacuum hoses in front of the intake mani, pull the one on the left towards the passenger side

·
Registered
133 Posts
[quote author=PhisyPhil link=topic=70618.msg1237602#msg1237602 date=1172625195]
just now i saw some oil.. fresh new oil on the floor of my garage. !! is it possible there is a leak>? or is this overflow ? where is the overflow for oil (is there is one) located under the car?
[/quote]

Sounds like maybe they didn't get the oil filter cap back on tight enough, or pinched one of the 2 o-rings that get replaced when changing the oil filter. Could also be the gasket on the drain plug. Take a quick look underneath and see if you a drip coming from either the drain plug or the the black oil filter cap. Could also be they spilled some oil as they were filling and didn't get it cleaned up...but you probably would have smelled that oil burning on your way home. Yours being new...I'm thinking you may just have a spin on oil filter...I believe they changed it on the newer model years. Mine an 04 has a PITA internal filter and has a black cap with a drain plug...the cap is plastic. I've heard of people cross threading it. The thing I don't like about mine is it compresses and slightly twists the oil filter element when you tighten the cap up. Out of all the engines that I've worked on that had internal oil filters...none of them worked like that...they either used the cap to put tension or a small spring to put tension on the element. Anyway, getting a bit off topic there. I would inspect it first before you drive all the way over to the dealer only to get halfway and have (if yours has the spin on) the filter vibrate off or if your drain plug was loose...have it vibrate out and put you in a worse situation...take a look first if it's something you can tighten...do it, then complain to the dealer...for $100 they should have polished your gas pedal too LMAO.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Exactly as described, i removed the tube and I held it closed I think or not... dunt remmember but the noise went away. This was done with the service manager so we will see what happens.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Hot damn I am gonna give this a shot. do any of you know where the other vacuum port is on the intake manifold, I have the one on the number 4 runner hooked to my MAP sensor and I'm afraid to remove it.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
[quote author=Hexedit link=topic=70618.msg1241215#msg1241215 date=1172763093]
Hot damn I am gonna give this a shot. do any of you know where the other vacuum port is on the intake manifold, I have the one on the number 4 runner hooked to my MAP sensor and I'm afraid to remove it.
[/quote]

if u look at the front of the manifold right AT THE FRONT lol, there are 2 tube small tiny ones... going from the top of the manifold near where the white metal stuff at the top to the bottom of the manifold.. well not bottom but lower part its quite short and it does sort of a U shape to do that only 2 tubes are like this one beside the other... remove the part thats at the top its easier.....and the one of the left... twist it etc to get it to budge.. its not some big tube or watever just small tiny tube

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
AHh gotcha. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts