Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have decided that it's probably time to get a new engine mount before ford's sucky mounts fail me. But i am unsure of which to get. If i get a rear mount will that put more stress on the others? Also if i get the rear mount what other mount should i get also, the transmission?

·
Registered
68 Posts
yeah, the side mount is the one that fails everyone. JDM makes a pretty good one you can find on ebay. But if your doing a lot of performance mods to your car you may as well go ahead and buy the rear and tranny mounts while your at it. I think i saw a pack of performance mounts for like 300.00 somewhere. But it'll be alright to do just the one mount for right now.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
I wonder what percent of 3 drivers have actually had the passenger mount fail? It seems maybe a 100 or so have shared their story here but there are over 48k members on this forum. I think the fail rate is pretty low. We hear from those who have had a failure, we haven't heard from those with functioning mounts.

Andrew, what are you looking for? A preventative measure or performance? IMO, go with a CP-E rear mount and enjoy. Keep an eye on your passenger mount and if it starts to leak, then replace it at that time. This is your best bang for your buck.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Save yourself some time and headache and just get the StreetUnit side mounts (passenger and driver/tranmission side) and one of the many flavors we have available for the rear. I'm currently running the SU side mounts and the AWR 70D rear mount. I have no wheel hop at all. At first the vibration was a little bit much at idle but now that I have about 2k on them its not bad at all and I really don't notice it......The wife loves the vibrations too so she can't complain about the $280 I spent on the side mounts :D

·
Registered
860 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=137466.msg2965017#msg2965017 date=1235746648]
What was the time and headache?
[/quote]

Having to live with broken motor mounts while you wait for them to be delivered or the headache of wheel hop.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
That sounds a bit dramatic. There is only 1 MZ3 mount that has been known to fail. When my passenger mount failed it was barely noticeable. On the MZ3, MMs are not nearly as big an issue as the MS3.

IMO, I don't see the need to replace something that isn't broke (and that has a low fail rate) and don't see it as a preventative measure (unless you drive a MS3). I just want members to make decisions based off of fact instead of hype.

·
Registered
860 Posts
My transmission mount failed as well. So I was down to just my rear AWR mount. Car drove like crap with only 1 good mount. My wifes pass side mount is leaking too. This is her second one (first one was replaced under warranty). Going to buy another set of SU mounts for her car probably today since I just got my tax refund deposited. Not one person I know personally that has a Mazda3 or MazdaSpeed3 hasn't had the pass side mount fail. I would rather replace a crappy part like that before it breaks and not after.... You are only as strong as your weakest link....

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Fair enough. I am not a fan of "the sky is falling" hype. That's why I like to ask follow-up questions.

I just think the likelihood of mounts failing or failing at once is a rare occurrence.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well its more or less for preventative reasons, but the performance aspect is important too. I started this thread because i planned on gettin a rear mount, but my transmission has been making a vibrating noise, when im in gear, but have my brakes applied. So that got me thinking that if i get a rear engine mount, wouldnt that put more stress on the tranny mount? Wasnt sure if anyone knew what the problem is with my transmission.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Have you checked the mount to see if it is ok? The rubber on mine was ripped almost all the way around the point were it attaches to the tranny bracket.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i forget about it everytime and dont remember till after i drive it, then the tranny is too hot.idk what would i check for on the tranny mount? I know about the side mount as it's clearly visible and shows signs of wear.

·
Registered
860 Posts
To see the tranny mount you have to remove the battery, battery box and a cover over the mount since it is under all that. Once that is all off you can see the mount and should be able to tell if it is messed up or in 1 piece still. Takes about 10-15 minutes to get all that off. Just a few screws.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The tranny mount is a solid rubber mount. Not liquid filled.... At least mine was not..... The pass side one is the only one that is liquid filled.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=137466.msg2965645#msg2965645 date=1235763894]
Yes, rear and tranny are solid rubber. Passenger side is fluid filled.
[/quote]

Correct...

The passenger side mount tends to began to leak, this is probably why everyone claims they are failing.

I personally would replace all the mounts first chance I get, because the rear mount is always the first to go, and then from all the movement from a failed rear mount will make the passenger side mount leak.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the sound coming from my tranny (or general area) is getting increasingly louder, and quite annoying. and its a pretty fast rattle. i wonder if its not the tranny itself

1 - 20 of 41 Posts