Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps I am blowing this out of proportion, but 3 of these broken mounts have popped up recently, 3 too many in my opinion...and perhaps more to come, at more expense to owners such as accidents etc. This makes the boost issue look like a squeeky hinge. I am really dissappointed in this. No offence to anyone who now owns a MS3, but this is making me think twice about this car. I dont buy a new car to worry about its engine falling out...other issues I can deal with, like cels, boost issues etc. I love this car, and decided on buying one even before driving it..so don't get me wrong. But, I think the only thing that can make me 100% sure about my decision to buy one would be mazda doing something more about it, at the very least messaging this board to reassure us that there is real no issue or cause for mass alarm. In my opinion, this is a recall, and nothing less.
How many others are thinking this way? am I the only one. I've been saving for a car for a year and a half. I don't want something slapped together and not built properly.
Perhaps if enough potential buyers hail in here...we can get mazda's attention on this.
Again, those who already own this car, don't flame on me....I am jealous you already have one :).

·
Registered
471 Posts
Well they said they were already informed of the problem and started doing preventive checkup when people go in for service (Waiting for this confirmation on the Canada side from the mazda.ca forums as I posted the mount threads to inform the company members answering the questions in those forums).

Also, I'm pretty sure this has been escalated up to the factory where they are probably already looking into it right now tosee if it's a cause for concern at the recall level or if preventive care is enough to resolve the issue. If there is a recall and a new piece needed to replace mounts, the bolts or other adjustments, we will know when they find it out. The cold weather CEL is already being taken care of and the fixes should be at the dealers in feb (from the mazda.ca forums again).

The second batch should at least have these kinks resolved I suppose when they are built.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think it's too early to freak out about this. It is something that will most likely end up with a recall to at least inspect all the mounts if not replace them as a precaution. As much as we want all of mazda to drop everything they are doing, and issue a recall ASAP, these things take time.

And really, it is relatively minor compared to other problems a tuner car like this could have. Motor mounts are something that many people would replace anyways, and they are relatively cheap. Compare to the MSP which was known to blow engines in stock form (happened to me), and blow trannies in stock form (also happened to me), and the motor mount problem doesn't seem so bad!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=ClickHeRe link=topic=66339.msg1137972#msg1137972 date=1168222666]
Well they said they were already informed of the problem and started doing preventive checkup when people go in for service (Waiting for this confirmation on the Canada side from the mazda.ca forums as I posted the mount threads to inform the company members answering the questions in those forums).

Also, I'm pretty sure this has been escalated up to the factory where they are probably already looking into it right now tosee if it's a cause for concern at the recall level or if preventive care is enough to resolve the issue. If there is a recall and a new piece needed to replace mounts, the bolts or other adjustments, we will know when they find it out. The cold weather CEL is already being taken care of and the fixes should be at the dealers in feb (from the mazda.ca forums again).

The second batch should at least have these kinks resolved I suppose when they are built.
[/quote]

I hope so too, as my car will be in that second batch. I am thinking also of present owners who may experience this before thier car makes their first service mark. Only time will tell...

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=Judd link=topic=66339.msg1138011#msg1138011 date=1168223863]
I think it's too early to freak out about this. It is something that will most likely end up with a recall to at least inspect all the mounts if not replace them as a precaution. As much as we want all of mazda to drop everything they are doing, and issue a recall ASAP, these things take time.

And really, it is relatively minor compared to other problems a tuner car like this could have. Motor mounts are something that many people would replace anyways, and they are relatively cheap. Compare to the MSP which was known to blow engines in stock form (happened to me), and blow trannies in stock form (also happened to me), and the motor mount problem doesn't seem so bad!
[/quote]

I hope you are right Judd, as you've more than paid your dews to mazda for the MSP. Sorry to hear about all your trouble....i guess I am just getting a little paranoid as I have had bad luck with recent cars, and just want to know my hard earned money is going towards a well built car. Loose bolts in tranny mounts just doesn't give me that warm fuzzy fealing of being able to rely on, and put the safety of your children, family, dogs, yourself on.
I agree that mounts are not a big deal. but most do not just catastrophically fail...they wear out over time, even if theyprematurely wear, normally there are more warning signs, which is why this type of thing makes me more nervous...
another thing is, if mazda know the expectations of this car, and market competition, and the bad experiences of the MSP, that is more reason for them to go that extra mile to make sure this car is built right and safely.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
If I had already ordered one and was committed mentally, I'd go ahead with the purchase. However, I'd have the dealer check the mounts once the car was in before driving off.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Just to note, the mounts are NOT failing on their own. It is the mount bolt coming loose that is causing the failures and that is likey because of a improperly working torque gun at the factory. My 8/06 build car is fine.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=Boother link=topic=66339.msg1138224#msg1138224 date=1168231126]
Just to note, the mounts are NOT failing on their own. It is the mount bolt coming loose that is causing the failures and that is likey because of a improperly working torque gun at the factory. My 8/06 build car is fine.
[/quote]

probable, but still speculation. engineering, part quality could also be an issue. we will see if they issue a recall.

·
Registered
98 Posts
[quote author=dutchie3 link=topic=66339.msg1138538#msg1138538 date=1168265603]
[quote author=Boother link=topic=66339.msg1138224#msg1138224 date=1168231126]
[/quote]

probable, but still speculation. engineering, part quality could also be an issue. we will see if they issue a recall.
[/quote]

I'd say very probable. They ran these things hard before release (as your icon shows) and probably racked enough miles for something like this to show up if it were an engineering issue. I still like my Yakuza extortion theory, though. In any case, I agree they should issue a recall before somebody drops an engine at high speed.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
since hearing about this becoming an issue I have made it a point to be harder on my daily drives.
It hasnt worried me for a minute and I still plan to race the crap outta the car this summer.
gonna be fun and I wont waste my time worrying about "what if's"

·
Registered
759 Posts
i just instructed my dealer to include this as part of their prep work before I pick it up today.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote author=Midak link=topic=66339.msg1152264#msg1152264 date=1168966242]
i just instructed my dealer to include this as part of their prep work before I pick it up today.
[/quote]

good thinking, I will do the same...

·
Registered
708 Posts
[quote author=edrection link=topic=66339.msg1138023#msg1138023 date=1168224234]
why not spend $200 for a ETD and not worry about it.
[/quote]

can you elaborate on this? I just bought my MS3 yesterday and already got razzed by a friend who spends way too much time on car forums. He knew about the "motor mount" problem. Im not sure yet if its a motor mount problem or a tranny mount problem. but either way I'd be willing to invest in a stronger aftermarket part if it will surely fix (or avoid) the problem.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
[quote author=ZooZoom link=topic=66339.msg1153620#msg1153620 date=1169008838]
[/quote]

can you elaborate on this? I just bought my MS3 yesterday and already got razzed by a friend who spends way too much time on car forums. He knew about the "motor mount" problem. Im not sure yet if its a motor mount problem or a tranny mount problem. but either way I'd be willing to invest in a stronger aftermarket part if it will surely fix (or avoid) the problem.
[/quote]

There were some cars with loose or incorrectly assembled mounts which seemed to cause the premature failures seen on some cars. There's no definite proof yet though. Have a thorough read through this section for more info. I'm sure you'll find answers to many questions.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[quote author=ZooZoom link=topic=66339.msg1153620#msg1153620 date=1169008838]
[/quote]

[/quote]

if you picked it up yesterday...the dealer most likely made a check on the bolts as another member said the dealers were getting notices to check them as they came in. might depend on how on the ball your dealer is. one dealer might deal more volume and get more notices, and experience with issues etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts