Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit a dog last night. It tore the whole front end up on my car. I don't know if it broke the oil filter off my car or what but, it dumped all the oil out. I had to drive the car about a half mile before I could pull over. The oil light was on but the engine was still running. I was in shock so, I don't think that I turned down the radio enough to hear any strange noises.
My question is, does the 3 have an engine kill switch if the engine gets TOO low on oil?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
doubtful.

If you lost all your oil, you should have just killed the engine and coasted.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Badhatch,
The dog was going to die or was dead. I ran completely over him, HARD!!! I did go back with my fiancee, to shoot him in the head if he were still alive.
You're F***ed up!
rubyred3,
There was no place to coast to. The road had deep ditches on each side. I could not leave it on this road or it would have been hit.
Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
you my friend are at where I am at, but i didnt hit a dog or anything my oil pump stopped pumping enough oil so it burnt about 3 qts in 350 miles then my oil light came on and by the time i pulled over clank clank clank bearings and cyl sleeves were shot! So rip it apart and rebuild it if its making the slightest noise because your main bearings are probably fried!

·
Registered
92 Posts
[quote author=vetkaw63 link=topic=134099.msg2882670#msg2882670 date=1232643383]
Badhatch,
The dog was going to die or was dead. I ran completely over him, HARD!!! I did go back with my fiancee, to shoot him in the head if he were still alive.
You're F***ed up!
rubyred3,
There was no place to coast to. The road had deep ditches on each side. I could not leave it on this road or it would have been hit.
Thanks
[/quote]

??? How does me saying that if you didn't go back it's f***ed up make me f***ed up?? I didn't say you did not go back. Was just a observation to the story at hand. Don't get so defensful.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
[quote author=badhatch link=topic=134099.msg2893854#msg2893854 date=1233083211]
defensful.
[/quote]

You learn a new word every day

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Likely you did do some damage to the engine even if you only damaged the oil filter in the hit. If you mean an actual half mile, then maybe not (about 20-30s at highway speeds), if you are coming up with a figure (and you actually mean a couple of minutes of run time)...then probably that you did damage to the engine. A few seconds of no forced lubrication isn't likely to do damage if the engine speed isn't high, but a couple of minutes is likely to.
-Matt

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Mazda dealer said the engine is fine. They said no strange noises when it was first started. State Farm was going to buy me a new engine if it was damaged so, Mazda had every reason to replace it, if it needed it. I'm glad it had synthetic oil in it. It was worth the added expense.
Mazda put all new parts in the front end. Nothing was pulled out or straightened. I can pick it up tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts