Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my car about two months now and I haven't perfected shifting smooth as an automatic transmission while driving normally. It's an 07 manual HB.

Problem:
I start off in first gear, then shift at 3000rpm. If I shift to second gear with about a second before releasing the clutch, the revs will still be about 2300-2500rpm and then drops to 2000rpm once engaged, therefore not making the shift smooth. That's pretty much the issue through gears 1-3. I've grounded the throttle body already in hopes of quicker response but no luck. I've tried letting off the clutch slowly too but drops the revs immediately at the slightest clutch grab. The only way to get smooth shifts for me is to wait quite a while then slowly let off the clutch.

Anyone else have this problem? Fixes? Tips on shifting technique?

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Funny, my problem is I can seem to shift fast enough in mine.... But I know what you mean I had a Mazda b2200 before my 3 and it seemed to take forever for the revs to come down, think it had a REALLY heavy flywheel. I basically tried to let off the gas a little sooner as to almost drag down the revs while pushing in the clutch. I think thats my problem with my technique now, I need to keep the revs the same when pushing in the clutch. Hope you understand what I mean and it helps you out.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
shift at 3500k or 4000k.... and don't even think about it. consciously thinking about every upshift just slows you down more than you know.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I think the problem is with the footwork. I notice many mtx drivers tend to use their leg too much to control the release of the clutch instead of using a combination of the their leg, foot, heel and ankle. Obviously the latter method will give you much much more control over the rate of the clutch engagement.

If you use your heel as anchor and pull back on your ankle to let the pedals start slip & slid and finally move your foot back as you need. What you will find is you can release the clutch pedal with much more control and limiting the rate of release as you please.

How do you know if someone or yourself is doing this already? When every passenger of your car question what that nasty squeaking noise is from your clutch pedal while you are driving with wet shoes. Every single passenger has questioned me before and even some mtx drivers weren't aware of how I can make this noise every time I shift. Of course, when all they are doing is letting the clutch drop and merely controlling it with their leg.

Friction is your friend, let the bottom of your shoe slid over the pedal to control the rate of release. And you can shift as smooth as you want without slipping excessively and burn your clutch. I can upshift as smooth as (if not smoother) than an automatic and downshift just as smooth with some heel & toe to rev match. It takes practice and everyone can do it.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Also make sure you are letting off fully on the gas pedal before you press the clutch at all. I have found if I am not careful about letting up on the gas fully before pressing the clutch pedal my revs will hang around or even bounce up a tiny bit during the shift.
-Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts