Mazda3 Forums banner

Engine Cover

5K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  M3-GT 
#1 ·
Are there any dangers in driving with the engine cover removed?

Does it dampen the sound that the engine makes?

#2 ·
I'm just guessing, but I don't think any harm would come about if you removed the plastic engine shroud. I didn't like it either, but if you remove it you lose the Mazda badging and the "clean" look that the shrouding gave off. I'd be interested to see what the engine bay looks like without the plastic.

It wouldn't do anything with the engine noise either, because if anything the lining on the underside of the hood reduces more noise than the plastic shroud.

#4 ·
I looked under the hood the other day and took off the engine cover, cuz my cousin wanted to see the engine. We laughed at how the engine cover seasaws due the the 3-point mounting scheme and flexibility of the cover.

We wondered wha the padding was for, and guessed that it's sound isolation.

It's not a bad looking setup without the cover.

#14 ·
funkyfreshmonke said:
how do those people keep their engines so clean tho? rich how did you keep your jettas engine so clean? lol...
You really want to know my secret? It was all hand cleaned. I bought specialized chemicals that cleaned the hoses, and used a spray bottle with HOT water and misted the engine. Then cleaned every part with a damp towel. I did this everytime before a show so the car looked spotless.

#18 ·
What kind of alcohol? Like Vodka?? mmm.... My car likes vodka...

Yeah, that sounds like too much work. I don't know what I'll do when I go to Vegas. I can wash the car before I leave, but when I get there after an 8 hour drive it will be all nasty again. Same with Orange county for the Rev It Up. Alameda should stay clean though... ;)

#19 ·
Could always spray the engine off while running at a car wash.

At the ImportExpo show, the guy who won the Best Euro category has a Lotus Esprit V8 with a totally polished motor, polished engine frame, polished nitrous bottles... polished everything.

The day before the show, that guy was saying he spent about 8 hours prepping the car. Lemme grab pics.. somewhere here.

#22 ·
OMG! He's leaning that plaque against the front bumper!?!? Is he nuts!? Tell me it has a felt backing to it!

#23 ·
Felt backed. I looked myself and asked him.. he was like "no no, its has a soft backing".

But then I proceeded to ask about the wing... but you could see the "dont ask about the spoiler" face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.