Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While changing my oil i noticed a whole bunch of white fibers all over my valve cover and the surrounding hoses. Pulling off the engine cover revealed that the outer seam of the insulation is torn and releasing all these fibers.

Has anybody else had this problem? What products/methods do you guys recommend to clean the engine bay? I've heard of spraying the whole engine down and covering up vital areas with plastic bags.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you dont want to use a liquid I suggest compressed air would do the trick with getting rid of those fibres. Washing the engine down is 90% safe but I have heard of a few cases where this has stopped certain cylinders from firing at all. Use water at your own risk.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
The insulation on my engine cover ripped naturally due to heat from the engine, but no fibers came out. I just taped what I needed to make sure it didn't rip again.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
air would probably do the trick but theres also dust in the nooks and crannies. tempted to spray it down to have everything look like new.

engine cover will probably be off permanently, dont feel like dealing with those fibres. its almost like a ripped pillowcase with all the feathers coming out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts