Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i was just wondering what you guys thought...you think its safe now to put my summer rims/tires back on or you think new york will have another big snowfall?

·
Registered
367 Posts
It's probably too early. I'm in Ontario and I'll be waiting until mid-April to put mine on. It was nice and warm today, but all of snow that melted into puddles today have frozen solid tonight. I usually wait until it's consistently above 5*C at night.

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
Miko, I'd wait at least until April 1st. Its killing me to have these snowflakes on my car, but I would cry if salt/sand f-ed up my [good] wheels.

How safe it is depends on the tires you have on your summer wheels. If you have A/S tires, then its fine.. but if you have summers on there, you should wait till the average high temps are at least 55. Summer tires are fairly dangerous in temps under 35.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay thanks for the advice guys

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Hey you're in Williamsville, I'm in Penfield.

Yea my car will be staying on jack stands for another few weeks. It's not out of the question for it to snow in April. Spring can't come soon enough.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know im hoping i get my speed3 by then and be able to do work on that

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Considering you live in the Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse/Oswego snow belt, definitely wait until at least April. We've had some of the worst storms hit in March, so don't be fooled by the string of warmer weather we're supposed to have for the next week or so.

·
Registered
204 Posts
[quote author=Timotheus link=topic=138087.msg2977262#msg2977262 date=1236263576]
Considering you live in the Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse/Oswego snow belt, definitely wait until at least April. We've had some of the worst storms hit in March, so don't be fooled by the string of warmer weather we're supposed to have for the next week or so.
[/quote]
Agreed!! Anyone remember the blizzard of 93. Over 12 inches in one hour. If I recall that was in early March.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Welp, for the hell of it I took my car off the jack stands and took it for a spin around the block. Was very nice to drive it again :) And over the winter I switched from MZ3 to MS3 specific Eibach pro kits and I really like the ride now! So glad I did that.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well thinking in 93 i was only 3 years old so i dont remember it very well...but my area had it bad during the october storm a couple years ago and that was brutal

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Yea I drive a company car every day so it'll stay in the garage until the weather is nicer out.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I am so ready to get rid of my steelies and put my nice grippy summer tires back on.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
[quote author=Miko_3 link=topic=138087.msg2978631#msg2978631 date=1236300658]
well thinking in 93 i was only 3 years old so i dont remember it very well...but my area had it bad during the october storm a couple years ago and that was brutal
[/quote]

I was 10 in 93 and I remember having 3 days off of school and walking over to my friend's house down the street during the blizzard.  That October storm a few years ago was insane.  I was in college living up in Tonawanda right off of NFB close to the UB campus and luckily was just leaving class when the storm started.  All night I was listening to the branches snapping and the ice sliding off the roof.  Somehow the house my brother and sister lived in in University Heights off Main St by the UB South campus managed to still have power the entire weekend, but we all packed up and came back home on Saturday anyway, brought my roommate with us too.  Didn't have classes until Wednesday.

Probably my favorite storm that's hit the area though was the Labor Day storm in 1998.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
[quote author=Miko_3 link=topic=138087.msg2976692#msg2976692 date=1236221930]
Hey guys i was just wondering what you guys thought...you think its safe now to put my summer rims/tires back on or you think new york will have another big snowfall?
[/quote]
I took mine off in March of last year and sure enough, it snowed the next damn day. I'm rockin my snows til April 8th...expect snow on April 9th.

·
Registered
17 Posts
[quote author=Mica07ms3 link=topic=138087.msg2976738#msg2976738 date=1236223489]
Hey you're in Williamsville, I'm in Penfield.

Yea my car will be staying on jack stands for another few weeks. It's not out of the question for it to snow in April. Spring can't come soon enough.
[/quote]

Well I am from Penfield also. I put my rims and summer tires back on the other week while we had a little warm spell because I was bored. Hopefully I will beable to get away without having to put the winters back on but we all know western ny and that probably won't happen. Speaking of snow, we are getting flurries right now :(

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
[quote author=Miko_3 link=topic=138087.msg2976692#msg2976692 date=1236221930]
[/quote]

dude u live right by my school?? haha nice

it snowed in April last year.. remember?? u should just wait until april.. and wait until the climate hits around 50-60 degrees

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
yeah.. I couldnt wait like I said I was going to. I put the summers on Saturday, and Sunday/Monday it snowed.. lol.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Snowed here in Syracuse two nights ago, but it barely stuck at all. The worst part was that the plows put salt down on the roads again after the rain had washed it all away :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts