Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so you guys that have aftermarket turbos . i.e not a speed.
what do you do about emissions? who runs a cat? how hard was it for you to pass?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
I haven't had an inspection yet with the kit, first one is coming up at the end of this year. I still have the stock second cat and squeaked by a sniffer pre-test, and don't have any CELs... so hopefully i can find a place too busy/lazy to do a thorough visual inspection and will pass without problems.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've noticed one of the kits has a nice heat shield that covers the turbo makingit look very stock. do you think that would help pass the visual inspection.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Yes, my Tri-Point kit has a big heat shield, as will the F2 kit i believe. You can't see the turbo unless you're really looking for it, it's very clean. However, the massive 3" polished intake piping going behind the engine instead of directly into the throttle body is a pretty obvious giveaway...

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha.... but mister inspector its just a cold air induction system thingy

maybe i'll go with a CARB approved sticker next to my turbo

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Exactly what i'm planning on saying lol. I actually wish i kept the little CARB-exempt plaque that came on my old Injen CAI... superglue it to the inlet pipe and tell them to look up the exemption #... haha....

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont see what the big deal is if it can pass smog.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
i have an 04 and planning on boosting it at the end of march begining of april.... in IL we only have a ODBII test and thats it.. no visual as far as im concerned

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote author=ionorick link=topic=134706.msg2896487#msg2896487 date=1233175235]
you have an 08 so dont trip about it
[/quote]

what do you mean?... the thing is i dont give two craps about when i boost it because in colorado springs i will not have to inspect it. but when i register it in jersey i will have to.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
[quote author=cjtherriault link=topic=134706.msg2896508#msg2896508 date=1233175856]
[quote author=ionorick link=topic=134706.msg2896487#msg2896487 date=1233175235]
you have an 08 so dont trip about it
[/quote]

what do you mean?... the thing is i dont give two craps about when i boost it because in colorado springs i will not have to inspect it. but when i register it in jersey i will have to.
[/quote]

If you bought your car new you have 6 years until you do your first smog check. That is why Rick said to not worry about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts