Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking around on cardomain, and came across an Australian Mz6 featuring "Electronic Rust Prevention". http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/432463/5 The picture on the top left shows a small something that I can't identify and says it keeps the sea air from rusting the car. Is this based on the idea that an electronic current can keep metal from rusting? If so, where do I pick up something like this and have it installed, assuming it works?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I think its a type of process called electroplating. You take a none corosive metal and electrically bond it to the exposed material on your car. Adonized aluminum is made through a similar process. By its nature it must be pretty expensive to have the whole underside done.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I heard of something similar to this from my roommate who once owned a blue 10th annivesary Miata.

He originally purchased the car from one of the local Bay Area dealers and it supposedly had this feature. There was supposed to be a couple of wires running through and under all the body panels of car that produced a very low current and voltage.

The idea was, the electric current would always keep producing a repelling ionic charge. This thin electric shield would repel the salts and other impurities that are catalyst to rusting, from settling on the car.

I'm not sure if this was just a marketing gimmick, but I could see real reason for it here in the Bay Area, especially if you like to drive by the ocean beach. The salty air and crashing waves of the ocean can wreak havoc on your car's metal bits because of the salts.

I wouldn't know of where you could get something like this aftermarket. It seems like it has limited uses to only areas where they need them (ocean cities and where it snows). But good luck to you if you wish to find one. I'd probably do a little more researching on findings and test of this electronic rust prevention. But that's just me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts