Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just how do they work? I've read that the only time you see the blue is when you open the door, etc. Does the blue show during nighttime driving? I hope it does.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The way I understood it is that it glows blue all the time. The lettering/numbering is red.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
The blue is not electroluminescent - that's just a backlight.

The red electroluminescence glows all the time:
Headlights off = bright red glow (assumed driving during the day)
Headlights on = dim red glow (perfect for at night)
Car off = completely black

It's actually the numbers/marks themselves that glow... not a backlight or frontlight or anything.

As opposed to the regular gauges:
Headlights off = white (no light)
Headlights on = red lighted
Car off = white (no light)

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm not sure how I feel about the blue, it clashes too much with the red.

·
Registered
65 Posts
98LX said:
I'm not sure how I feel about the blue, it clashes too much with the red.
As a VW owner, I can attest to the beauty of the cool blue/red guage combo. It doesn't clash, it's easy to read, and it's just, well.. pleasing. I much prefer it to the weak red glow of the Protege5 guages. Granted I haven't driven a MZ3 yet, but in photos it looks like they did it right.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Having owned a Jetta I can say how much I hate red/blue color combinations. I don't think there is as much contrast in the 3 than there was in the Jetta. The Jetta guages gave me a headache. Why do you think the lighs on the top of police cars alternate between blue/red? It is because these two colors together do not allow your eye to focus properly so it really catches your attention. IMO, Blue/Red lighting is very gimiky.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spammy56 said:
Having owned a Jetta I can say how much I hate red/blue color combinations. I don't think there is as much contrast in the 3 than there was in the Jetta. The Jetta guages gave me a headache. Why do you think the lighs on the top of police cars alternate between blue/red? It is because these two colors together do not allow your eye to focus properly so it really catches your attention. IMO, Blue/Red lighting is very gimiky.
If blue and red catches your attention, thats a good thing at night. The worst thing at night is to have a boring dash. You want something taht will keep you alert and interested. I've been in a VW before at night and the presentation is very well put together.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Personally, I like them. Better than the green, red, or amber I've seen.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was saying it grabs your attention because they clash when put together and your eyes cannot focus very well. Much like green and orange together. BTW schulkw, the gauges in the 3 are mostly red.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Spammy56 said:
I was saying it grabs your attention because they clash when put together and your eyes cannot focus very well. Much like green and orange together. BTW schulkw, the gauges in the 3 are mostly red.
I drove a Gran Prix once that was all red and I didn't like it. I guess we'll see how well i like it when I get my 3. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am mildly disappointed that it doesn't share a similar dash to the RX-8. It has various electroluminescent colors, and the numbers are all in white just like on the Cadillacs and other luxury cars. It is much easier to read white lettering than red. Red has the longest wavelength in the visible light spectrum, while violet and blue have the shortest wavelengths. It is a scientific fact that these colors "clash" due to their difference in wavelength, and it is also a scientific fact that white light is a combination of every wavelength and as such is easiest for the eye to see. There is science in color, and unfortunately the electroluminescent gauges may look cool and operate pretty well, but I would still like to see brighter gauges like the RX-8 on 3. I am not that worried about it ... I'll manage to live with it. But if Mazda can put leather seats, xenon lights, and a nav system onto the the 3, then they can put in brighter, more upscale, easy-to-look-at dash gauges. :(

·
Registered
172 Posts
What happened to good ol' green or white? My protege's gauges are green when lights are on, and it's very easy on eyes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I remember when VW went to their red-on-blue display, they said they based it on what air traffic controllers' screens looked like- most readable color combo I think they said- anyway, those guys have to be able to read their screens or there will be SERIOUS consequences, so it should be good for cars too. Plus it looks cool.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well I have to say it again but blue/red together are one of the most hard-on-the-eyes combination out there because they are on opposite ends of the wave length spectrum. It is interesting to note that VW is switching its cars away from the red/blue lighting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
[quote author=anamnesis link=topic=407.msg5183#msg5183 date=1068626315]
It is much easier to read white lettering than red.[/quote]That's your opinion.  Is it easier to listen to multiple noises or just one?  Is it easier looking at 7 lights or just one?[quote author=anamnesis link=topic=407.msg5183#msg5183 date=1068626315]Red has the longest wavelength in the visible light spectrum, while violet and blue have the shortest wavelengths.  It is a scientific fact that these colors "clash" due to their difference in wavelength, and it is also a scientific fact that white light is a combination of every wavelength and as such is easiest for the eye to see.[/quote]Since when is clashing a science fact?  Is deep bass mixed with some cymbals clashing?  It al depends upon what is being played.[quote author=anamnesis link=topic=407.msg5183#msg5183 date=1068626315]There is science in color,[/quote]I'd like to know where the color science talks about clashing.  I'm not being sarcastic.  If it really does exist I'd like to read about it.

How can you tell me this doesn't look good?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Holy resurrecting a dead thread - last post was 18 months ago!

·
Registered
567 Posts
yea ... and ACTUALLY ...

The Blue isn't backlit ... it only comes on with the headlights and if you look closely at your cluster you'll notice a little houseing at the top of each cluster ... well inside that there is a BLUE led bulb ... and since the only part of the gauge that would reflect (not absorb that light) is the silver ring ... thats what glows blue.

·
Registered
557 Posts
[quote author=Panther37 link=topic=407.msg342379#msg342379 date=1121253906]
[quote author=anamnesis link=topic=407.msg5183#msg5183 date=1068626315]
It is much easier to read white lettering than red.[/quote]That's your opinion. Is it easier to listen to multiple noises or just one? Is it easier looking at 7 lights or just one?[quote author=anamnesis link=topic=407.msg5183#msg5183 date=1068626315]Red has the longest wavelength in the visible light spectrum, while violet and blue have the shortest wavelengths. It is a scientific fact that these colors "clash" due to their difference in wavelength, and it is also a scientific fact that white light is a combination of every wavelength and as such is easiest for the eye to see.[/quote]Since when is clashing a science fact? Is deep bass mixed with some cymbals clashing? It al depends upon what is being played.[quote author=anamnesis link=topic=407.msg5183#msg5183 date=1068626315]There is science in color,[/quote]I'd like to know where the color science talks about clashing. I'm not being sarcastic. If it really does exist I'd like to read about it.

How can you tell me this doesn't look good?

[/quote]

just out of curiosity, why did you bring up a 18 month old thread just to make random point about color?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts