Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so i have been using my ipod adapter for the cigarette lighter and i pulled it once and put it back on and now it doesnt work. i dont know whats up... can any of you guys tell me what to look for or how to fix it. it wont even light up the cigarette adapter either or my phone charger. freakin pissin me off and if any of you guys can help me, i'd really appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
sounds like a blown fuse, make sure nothing metal is loose inside the socket (like a coin or the tip of the cig lighter adapter). If it looks ok then replace the fuse.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Replace the fuse. Your owner's manual will show you where the fuse box is. There should be one on the list for your cigarette lighter, pull it and replace it with a new one of the same amperage. Try a different accessory in the lighter socket (a friend's device or your lighter). It should work. If you use your device again and the lighter fuse blows, the device is somehow drawing too many amps and is bad.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
if it was the fuse inside the adaptor then his other cig lighter pieces would not be having any problems, but he says his phone charger, etc are not working either.

·
Registered
483 Posts
i had the same problem...but i wasnt sure. Like i got into the cig lighter...and ended up putting in a blue led where the stock low light led is above the cig lighter/climate controls, but my actual cig lighter isnt working for my ipod transmitter.

·
Registered
410 Posts
O.K. dudes, here's the scoop! 9 times out of 10, it is a fuse related problem. Your plug in adapters and corded devices usually have a built in fuse. This is often located in the plug part that you put into your cigarette lighter. Sometimes it is snapped into the side of the plug, and other times the "tip" of the plug unscrews and you can dump the little glass tubular fuse out of it to replace it.

Take your devices and try them in another car that you know for certain has a working cigarette lighter plug. If your devices work, then the problem is back with the lighter port in your car. If they do not work, replace the fuse in the device plug and try it again in the car with the working lighter plug and everything should work.

If the device works right away on the other car, but it won't power up when connecting it to the lighter socket in your car, the cigarette lighter socket is not puting out any power. If the problem is with your car, look in your owner's manual to see how to get at the fuse panel under your glove box. Find the fuse dedicated to the cigarette lighter outlet and replace it. If you still don't have power to your lighter plug, you have a wiring problem.

One of these two fixes should work. If you get it working again and it dies on you, check both the device fuse and the car fuse. Whichever one is blown will direct you to the problem. If the device cord keeps blowing it's fuse you have either a bad cord or your device itself is having problems. If your car fuse keeps blowing, you are plugging too much crap into it, drawing too much power from it, or you have a wiring problem in your car that keeps blowing it.

Hope this helps! :D

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have 06 hatch that keeps blowing up cig fuse. I trie the device (compressor) in other two mazdas 6 and 5 and it worked fine. Mine is blowing fuse after one or two times of using it. But only when connecting or disconnecting the device. There is no fuse inside that compressor. Does anyone have ideas about this?
thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
I did as far as just looking inside.But i didn't remove the entire housing, too much work. I am probably going to get it done at a dealership. I just hope it will be covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
have you tried using another device in the socket to see if they work? A compressor can draw a significant amount of power. What size fuse are you replacing your with?

·
Registered
359 Posts
GPS and cell phone charger work just fine At first i was putting the stock size (power wise) fuse. But I ran out of those an now was like 25AMP or 20AMP. But changing the strength of the fuse didn't do anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts