Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Well, I have been having so many problems with my Mazda, some my fault, some not. I think this next one would be mine.

I did some work to the electrical / audio system to install a few amps in the boot. I ran power wire from the battery, to the rear, and also ran the speaker wire, as well as the remote wire to the rear.

My problem is that the vehicle is not draining my battery quite quickly, and I cannot determine where from.

I checked the main power wire, which was run without the fuse installed, so essentially only 8 inches from the battery post is where it terminates... nothing out of the ordinary there. Removing this wire shows the same voltage on the battery.

The car drains the battery to about 0.25v, which is very low. Hooking up a trickle charge only brings the voltage to 9.6v and then the trickle charger goes into protect mode...

Removing the battery completely, the trickle charge charges at 12.6v, and doesn't shut up.

This tells me there is a power wire being grounded somewhere, or a draw somewhere that is quite substantial.

Can anyone give any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks so much for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,493 Posts
Are your amps staying on when you shut the car off? An improperly connected turn-on lead will often cause this problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The are not hooked up up yet, and the power wire for the amps has it's fuse removed at the battery.

The only thing else I was working on was the speaker wires, and the remote wire (which I tapped into the yellow wire connected to the radio). All of these wires are also not hooked up to the amp, and are terminated and taped in the rear of the car.

How frustrating.

Do you know how much power the car should draw when everything is off? I image not much for the computer / clock / alarm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,493 Posts
I don't know the idle draw off the top of my head, but you're right, it shouldn't be much. If you have nothing hooked up, and are sure that all of your connections are secure and not shorting, then my first guess would be a bad battery maybe. How long has this been going on for, and are you sure it only started after you began installing the wiring for your stereo?
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top