Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 model in Thailand. In Thailand will tell you that there have been more "cowboy mechanics" in this than there are parts in the entire car. Many of the drivetrain parts have been changed and I doubt most of the second hand parts were specific to the year and model. But today's topic is power steering.
There is an electric pump next to the washer fluid bottle, with a reservoir that actually says, "Power Steering Fluid only". The puzzling part is that the hoses from this, go down to a belt driven pump at the bottom of the engine. So I don't understand the combination. The electric pump and the area under have been wet and caked with a dirt/oil combination. The reservoir has always shown way, way over full, but has been slowly dropping. I am thinking it has been leaking due to the previous owner continually overfilling, causing the reservoir to vent once the fluid gets hot. I am about to flush the system and have cleaned up the pump and the splash guard under it, so will see if cures the leak.
So my basic question is, what is up with the dual pumps?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
What engine does it have? I know the US version has only the electric pump. The only "pump" I know of on the bottom of the engine is the A/C compressor and there is no way that the power steering lines lead to that. Is it possible that you are following the lines wrong?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anything is possible, I'm 65. I have it on jack stands at the front, but that doesn't leave much room for getting under it.

Since my last look, I have removed the CV axle (broken strut which started me down this path) with a bit clearer view, yes that is the aircon pump. The power steering lines and aircon lines do a bit of a cross and I got lost. Thank you for your quick reply and help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts