Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm puzzled... well... was wondering today if the car didn't start, would it still be possible to turn the steering wheel like on a normal power steering car? Maybe it's a stupid question, but say the car stalled, I'm sure that ABS and EBFD no longer works. Was wondering if it's the same with the power steering.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I can vouch for this one, sorta. When my power steering failed, it took like 50 pounds of force to turn the wheel under 5 mph. Good to have the new pump working like nothing ever happened.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The electric power steering doesn't use the pump at low speeds

when turning the steering wheel at low speed, an electric motor will drive the steering, not taking any power from the engine. i suppose if the car is fast enough.. will use the regular pump

Back to one of the questions, when the car is stalled, the power steering fails and it will be extremely heavy. The engine must be running for it to be powered..

but i wouldn't try to out-muscle the power steering ...cuz u might damage the electric motor

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Its happened to me in the 5spd. If the engine is close to stalling out (virtually emmient) you get a power steering light warning and the steering goes. Pressing the clutch solves it if you hit it before stall out. This means if the engine stalls your power steering goes too.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
talk about a wonderful design... i'd rather it be normal.. it is smooth though, but I don't feel all that connected to the road...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Inno said:
The electric power steering doesn't use the pump at low speeds

when turning the steering wheel at low speed, an electric motor will drive the steering, not taking any power from the engine. i suppose if the car is fast enough.. will use the regular pump

Back to one of the questions, when the car is stalled, the power steering fails and it will be extremely heavy. The engine must be running for it to be powered..

but i wouldn't try to out-muscle the power steering ...cuz u might damage the electric motor
The electric motor drives the hydraulic pump. In most cars, the engine drives the hydraulic pump via a belt. During low speeds driving, the electric motor runs at full power and drives the hydraulic system so you can make turns effortlessly, the electric motor runs at a slower speed as hydraulic assist is not needed as much at highway speeds.

And no, you can't damage the electric motor by muscling the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Bah! I've been driving a car that was not equippped with power steering for 2 years now :)

Power steering cars now feel too wimpy. ;) hehehehe

But I would REALLY like powersteering now!

Interesting to hear how it works, though. Most powersteering units have been purely mechanical, right?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
What do u mean by they feel wimpy?

well im not sure whether it's purely mechanical but defintiely the regular rack and pinion is more mechanical than this new electrical hydraulic

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Inno said:
Oh, I'm just joking ;) I've been tortured with no power steering, and whoever said that it's killer when going less than 5 mph is right.
With power steering (of any sort) I can literally do backwards parking and parallel parks (from a standing stop) with one finger. But... the car I have now is not gifted with such luxury... and any turning of the wheel from standing stops is like trying to rip 3 pairs of Levis jeans. :D
I'm so used to the pain, I don't even notice it anymore :p hehehe... bigger arms, I guess.

Does the new hydraulic system feel "different" from the normal rack and pinion? And when did Mazda incorporate the new hydraulic system? (is it new on the MZ3?)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Inno said:

well im not sure whether it's purely mechanical but defintiely the regular rack and pinion is more mechanical than this new electrical hydraulic
You still got it all wrong. I'm sure the 3 is rack and pinion also (the other type being the recirculating ball found in mercedes). The hydraulic assist you, when you turn just a little, the servo actuator senses your input and allows fluid into the cylinder assembly. So, you are not actually steering with the hydraulic system... you are being assisted by it. No matter what, it is still a mechanical linkage between your steering wheel and the tires.

The only difference between this system and what you call a "regular rack and pinion" system is that the hydraulic pump is driven by an electric motor and not by the engine like in most other cars!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
ah hah! I get it now :)

So the electric motor is simply connected (I'm assuming) to the battery and there's no correlation between the engine and the steering then?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts