Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Karl Mar of Edmunds.com posted the followig on his "Karl on cars" blog:

-------------------------------------
SOURCE: http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee900c0
-------------------------------------
2007 Mazda CX-7

It's my pleasure to tell you that I've just driven this car -- and it's my pain to tell you about the April 20 embargo on all driving impressions. At least we'll have a full test up on that day, complete with photos, video, track testing and audio system evaluation. One thing I can say is that the SUV/Crossover market continues to evolve. Everyone (myself included) laughed when Lexus intro'd the RX 300 in 1999. "An 'SUV' that can be had in front-wheel drive only? Built on a Camry platform? Ha! What a joke." Then the sales figures started to roll in, and the joke was on every automotive journalist and every other automaker -- most of whom started screaming at their own product development teams -- "Build one now-Now-NOW!!" They've all since tried it, some with more success (BMW X5) than others (Buick Rendezvous). Now comes Mazda's entry. The Tribute also went in this direction, but the CX-7, based off the Mazda 6 platform, is the first true RX knockoff. This much you already know, and considering how every car using this platform as been received and rated by the automotive press you can probably discern how the CX-7 drives. You've also probably seen the interior and exterior styling (if not check here), so you can come to your own conclusion on styling. I will say this much -- The CX-7 bodes well for Mazda, and also Ford and Lincoln, who will get their own versions (Edge and Aviator) soon
----------------------------

I will update this on 4/20 when the review gets released ... I can harldy wait for the reviews of the new FoMoCo Crossovers.. they all seem to be well thougt out...

Igor

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
[quote author=dsulli37 link=topic=42985.msg646574#msg646574 date=1144093555]
The CX-7 and the Edge are not related.[/quote]

They are related... but distantly, like 3rd cousins or something! It is more accurate to say that the Ford Edge and Mazda CX-7 are NOT clones. The Ford Edge IS however based largely off of the Mazda6 architecture while the CX-7 shares more architecture with the Mazda3 and Mazda5.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The CX-9 that will be in showrooms by early 2007 will be like the Ford Edge. The CX-7 has no resemblance of Ford in it. Mazda did this vehicle all on their own. It's 95% Japanese parts and is imported from Japan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts