Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Wow, that article is definately raving. One thing common in most of the articles is that they say the interior doesn't feel like it's made from quality materials. Is it all just basically hard plastic?

Looking at hi-res photos like this:

http://media.mazda.ch/dossiers/mazda3/images/high/MAZDA3_CD2_27.jpg

sort of give me an idea as to what it feels like, but I guess I can't tell until I touch it. Any opinions from those who've been inside?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Everything I've read, the editors have given it high remarks. And this isn't the first I've read where it's going to give Civic and Corolla a run for their money.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Well, I don't think this car appeals to the same broad group the Civic or Corolla appeal to. The Civic and Corolla are economy cars, and people buy them because price is a concern, and they want something that will get them from point A to point B reliably all day every day.

Mazda has that whole Zoom Zoom attitude going on, and with that I think their market is a bit narrower than Toyota and Honda's. I just can't imagine my 60 year old granny picking a Mz3 over a Civic or Corolla because it's sportier or looks cooler; She could care less.

Not to mention Mazda still doesn't have the same repuation as Honda and Toyota. People shopping for a car will start at the Honda dealer, then go straight to the Toyota, without even considering a Mazda. I think Mazda has to do a good job at marketing. Even though this car could sell itself, people have to know it exists first.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Mazda may have Zoom Zoom MARKETING going on, but its no less an economy car than the Civic. They're just trying to market it a little differently.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Right, but I think in doing that they don't target the same audience as the Corolla or Civic. And that audience, I think, is an older generation, maybe 50s up, maybe 40s up for women.

Then again, I could be totally off base. Sometimes I see older people in Eclipses. Who knows why people buy the cars they do.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Well, as of late I've really been looking, and it seems, at least in this area, there a whole lot more stock bone civics with women in their 30s driving them. At my school, I'd have to say 25% of the parking lot is filled with new, stock civics as well, but of course they're bought by parents who want an get around, economy car for their kid. I think the ricer civics are the minority, even though there are so many, there are greater many stock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Kazbaeden said:
Well, I don't think this car appeals to the same broad group the Civic or Corolla appeal to. The Civic and Corolla are economy cars, and people buy them because price is a concern, and they want something that will get them from point A to point B reliably all day every day.

Mazda has that whole Zoom Zoom attitude going on, and with that I think their market is a bit narrower than Toyota and Honda's. I just can't imagine my 60 year old granny picking a Mz3 over a Civic or Corolla because it's sportier or looks cooler; She could care less.

Not to mention Mazda still doesn't have the same repuation as Honda and Toyota. People shopping for a car will start at the Honda dealer, then go straight to the Toyota, without even considering a Mazda. I think Mazda has to do a good job at marketing. Even though this car could sell itself, people have to know it exists first.
I agree

People who buy Civics and Corollas are your average Jane or John Doe searching for a cheap reliable transportation that they don't really care about. The Mz3, being a little more expensive, are for those who want a car that is "higher class", something that injects more excitment into their life.

I really don't see why the Mz3 has to be compared with the Civic or Corolla either. The Mz3 has more powerful engines, better suspensions, steering, braking that rival many i4/v4 midsize sedans like the Camry LE. If you were to ask me, I would see the Mz3 somewhere between civic/corolla and accord/camry.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I think it's just a class issue. The MZ3, being compact, doesn't fit in with the accord/camry, especially so since that is the 6's job. I guess since there's really a void in between, you have to compare it to something, and the civic/corolla is the closest.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Kazbaeden said:
Wow, that article is definately raving. One thing common in most of the articles is that they say the interior doesn't feel like it's made from quality materials. Is it all just basically hard plastic?
Almost in every review/test/article sais that the interior is not of a very good quality. Well... not bad, but not as good as others

1 - 12 of 12 Posts