Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as I know, EBD works to balance the braking power over the 2 axles. It works to keep the car from "nose-diving" during hard stops. I haven't tried hard stopping yet, however:

There is much more brake dust on my rear rims than on the front ones. From my old car I am used to more dust on the front rims because they handled most of the braking. Does this mean that the rear brakes are taking more of the duty?

If the rear ones are taking more of the duty, wouldn't it have made more sense for the rotor sizes to be reversed, larger brake discs in the rear and less in the front? Can I have a auto shop or Mazda service center switch them?

·
Registered
272 Posts
No, there is no sensor to detect nose diving, thus EBD doesn't act on nose diving. EBD just means the individual hydraulic force of each wheel can be adjusted when ABS detects wheel locking.

The back-to-front weight transfert always makes the front brake work harder.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! So, why is that the rear rims are covered with more brake dust than the front? From previous cars I've driven, the brake dust was mostly located on the front rims. Also, if they're working harder, shouldn't the bigger ones really be on the rear instead of the front?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
rpc180 said:
Thanks! So, why is that the rear rims are covered with more brake dust than the front? From previous cars I've driven, the brake dust was mostly located on the front rims. Also, if they're working harder, shouldn't the bigger ones really be on the rear instead of the front?
Stop driving in reverse! :lol:

Honestly, I don't know. It was the same at the beginning for me but it's not doing that anymore.

·
Registered
16 Posts
larger rotors on the front apply more breaking force than the rear smaller rotors due to inertial forces being slowed faster at a farther distance from center, kind of similar to how a lever works :? and no larger should be on front, if the back breaks stopped more than the fron the car can become unbalanced and begin tail sliding. when greater breaking is applied on the front it slows the entire unit down while alowing the rear a little more roll in order to keep things going in a straight line. :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts