Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I am just looking for some specific info.

We all know the NEW ABS grille from speedline fits fine for the S bumper etc.

Ok i have also hard guys who bought ABS ones from ebay and say they fit fine too, those that are advertised to fit the S AND the I. For those who bought those I was hoping you can post back the following info:

1. Who on ebay did you buy it from, link if possible.

2. how is the mesh attached to the grille? Did it come pre attached can you remove it.

3. How is the fit of the grille? Do you have an I or S?

4. If you have pictures please post.

Last but not least lets just keep this to ABS grilles for the SEDAN. Thanks buddies. Here is a sample picture from a person I want to buy a lower grille from but passing on the upper grille showing how his fits lousy.

You can see the gaps on the side.

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
1. Who on ebay did you buy it from, link if possible.
eurosportgarage

2. how is the mesh attached to the grille? Did it come pre attached can you remove it.
it's held on with removable screws

3. How is the fit of the grille? Do you have an I or S?
OEM fit, no gaps. I have an I

4. If you have pictures please post.

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
it looks like there are gaps in that picture but it's just shadows...

here is another picture:

my car is dirty in both pics, ignore the salt, lol.

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
i just sold an S grill.

i wanted one for the hatch, the guy i got it from wassssssssssss....acemotors700

took like a month and a half to get here, but that was because they had to re-order it from the manufacturer. because it was "damaged" at their wharehouse or something...fit perfect tho...except mounting holes, nothing big tho.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
[quote author=smokinAMD link=topic=66857.msg1149163#msg1149163 date=1168801137]

Just got it back from the body shop friday night!
[/quote]

That looks awesome! Perfect fit and all finally!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[quote author=smokinAMD link=topic=66857.msg1149163#msg1149163 date=1168801137]

Just got it back from the body shop friday night!
[/quote]

where did you get it from?

Thanks Stephanie for the detailed info :)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Would the grille stephanie has fit an S the same, or are there minor differences? That's got the most consistant gap across the top of any I've seen. The ebay link just says sedan.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[quote author=wolfe link=topic=66857.msg1149522#msg1149522 date=1168813575]
Would the grille stephanie has fit an S the same, or are there minor differences? That's got the most consistant gap across the top of any I've seen. The ebay link just says sedan.
[/quote]

I asked them, will see what the response is. But we'll only know for sure when someone tries.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
i model grilles and s model grilles (open mouth) are not interchangable in terms of fitment. If you install an i model grille onto your s model, you gonna see a gap at the bottom where the grille meets the bumper. You can see this in this picture:

You can tell the difference between the i model open mouth grille and the s model open mouth grille (the ones i've seen that actually fit properly).

i model: outer edge is thicker, making the "open mouth" (mesh) look smaller.
Majority of ebay grilles are these (even though they say fit both i and s models), but if they fit or not seems like a hit or miss. Stephanie's looks like it fits 100% :goodjob:. The ones made of ABS plastic I think fit better then Accolade's (fiberglass) based on what I've noticed.

s model: outer edge is thinner, making the "open mouth" (mesh) look larger then the i model's.
There is ONLY one version available that I know that fits pretty well, and that's nabobery's 3rd edition (seen on smokinAMD's car :goodjob:) and it's made of ABS plastic unlike his previous ones (which were made of fiberglass). Nabobery's previous ones (2nd edition seen on sh1bby's car) do fit, but the gap is not consistant at the top (that or I'm picky about things like that).

There are probably other grilles out there that do fit properly that I am not aware of, and I may be wrong on some things, but this is all based on what I've seen being on this forum for the past 3yrs. I hope this clears things up. 8)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with your observations but look at mine:

I have a I model bumper and the stock s model grille seems to fit as well as could be asked compared to the same grille fitted on actual S model bumpers.

But aftermarket ones could be another story.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
I just got it from naborrery, speedline international, on ebay. Had my body shop paint it when they were replacing my rear bumper and right front fender. Yay, smash and runs...

·
Registered
724 Posts
[quote author=2ruSpeed link=topic=66857.msg1149622#msg1149622 date=1168819343]
i model grilles and s model grilles (open mouth) are not interchangable in terms of fitment. If you install an i model grille onto your s model, you gonna see a gap at the bottom where the grille meets the bumper. You can see this in this picture:
[/quote]

Thanks for pointing that out, I wouldn't have known to look for the lower gap. In that picture, the top gap is what I notice on most of the grilles I've seen. Most just don't seem to follow the hood line, either having too big a gap in the center, or the hood gap is too small at the edges of the grille. Stephanie's looks absolutely perfect from the pictures.

I wonder if the pic from their ebay store where it's on a silver car is it on an s, hence the gap underneath?

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
yeah, it fits perfect... it looks a lot better in person than in the pictures too!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
the guy i bought mine from eurosportgarage and the grill fits really nice, and i have the i model the mesh is attached by little screws as stephanie said. i took the mesh out and painted it black to match the rest of the mesh.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts