Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i've been looking at a lot of catback systems and i can't decide which is the easiest to install/uninstall. since i live in MA our emissions test are just as strict as CA. so just wanted to know, any info would be helpful thanks :

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
If its a catback system and retains both cats there should be nothing to worry about - you should pass inspection. NJ is a nazi state as well when it comes to inspection, and I have never failed for an exhaust.

Now if you start adding straight pipes, eliminating components, and MA does visual inspections that may be a different story.

But back to the original question - they are all pretty much the same: a resonator section, a muffler section, and a tailpipe section. Most use the stock mounting points and are held together with pipe clamps - not too difficult to remove.

The real bitch is going to be trying to reinstall the stock system after you have cut it up to remove it the first time.

·
Registered
508 Posts
What he can do is delete the cat. Buy an exhaust that is basically illegal in his state but is bolt on(no cutting). Something with a straith pipe so that when it is time he can unbolt and put the stocker back on. Kind of a bitch but if you want to keep the stock then thats the way to go. Honestly just get a catback. They usually only delete the resonator which is legal in all states. I live in NY, same as CA, NJ you etc, you could go with hi flow cat or regular cat. It all boils down to work and preference.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
If you can get the stock exhaust out without cutting you are more determined than I. That would be one royal pain in the ass, and would at the very least require a lift to be able to manuever that pipe out.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
you will never get the stock exhaust out without cutting. it wont get through the rear axle.

as long as you keep your stock header, you can get any exhaust you want. it won't throw a cel so yiou will pass inspection.

·
Registered
508 Posts
[quote author=the415 link=topic=66460.msg1140327#msg1140327 date=1168350306]
you will never get the stock exhaust out without cutting. it wont get through the rear axle.

as long as you keep your stock header, you can get any exhaust you want. it won't throw a cel so yiou will pass inspection.
[/quote]

he is correct(he is also the one who I got info from as well)

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
why not get a heat chield for a cat and clamp it on a straight section of the exhauast? Now it looks like you have a cat. Go to midas or meinikee and give them a 12 pack for a old heat shield.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
because he doesn't need that if he keeps his stock header which has the cat built into it.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
why? they aren't going to know the car has more than 1 cat.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Yeah, I dont know whats involved with the inspection. Maybe they have a book of how the exhaust should look and where the cats are. Either way it sounds like that state sucks.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
IF they do a visual inspection, they won't consult a book. they try to get cars in and out as fast as possible. as soon as they see one cat, they'll move on. as long as you aren't throwing any emissions codes, you will pass.

·
Registered
508 Posts
[quote author=the415 link=topic=66460.msg1140499#msg1140499 date=1168358490]
IF they do a visual inspection, they won't consult a book. they try to get cars in and out as fast as possible. as soon as they see one cat, they'll move on. as long as you aren't throwing any emissions codes, you will pass.
[/quote]

just got my inspection done, that is exactly what the tech said. If there are no codes, and he see's the cat(which he didnt even check) then its all good. Most techs will not check so mod away, as long as your not running any codes you will not fail. The tech told me if you throw any codes, even if your battery had went on you wait at least 100 miles. He said even if you got a new battery in there the memory will still be in the ecu and you will fail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys for all the info looks like i'm just gonna get a catback that doesn't delete the second cat. :lol:

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
why? you will pass without the 2nd cat.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
I don't just make this stuff up.

What is the OBD test and how does it work?
Massachusetts is now using an advanced computerized emissions test - the On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) test - for most model year 1996 and newer cars, light trucks, and SUVs The OBD emissions test is designed to ensure that your vehicle keeps running as cleanly as it was designed to run, which in turn protects the air we breathe.

The OBD test is quick and easy. The inspector connects your vehicle's on-board computer to a computer in the station, and then downloads engine and emissions control data. The results are printed on the Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR), which the inspector will give you when the inspection is finished.

If your vehicle passes both the OBD test and safety inspection, it is issued a sticker. If OBD detects a problem with your vehicle (generally indicated in advance by an illuminated "Check Engine" or "Service Soon" light), your vehicle will fail its inspection and will need to be repaired.
as long as you are not throwing a cel, you will pass.

i think i've said this 100 times now.

most of the country is adapting the OBD testing.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
get a hks exahust.. i remember that is a bolt on because it has a flange and connects to the flex pipe, so no cutting, but u remove the 2nd cat.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
[quote author=boardumb link=topic=66460.msg1141720#msg1141720 date=1168395876]
You still have to cut the old exhaust....
[/quote]

hi thomas. welcome to 14 posts ago. haha

1 - 20 of 29 Posts